The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a post a week or so ago and someone mentioned that 21-2388 series combines usually need a rebuilding after i think it said 2000-2500 hours? If this is the case, wondering what they mean? My 2188 has 3600 engine, well i guess actually 50 hrs on an overhaul, and 2800 separator. Starting to see a few cracks, etc. like end of cross-augers in bottom of hopper. Is there other things i should look for? Already have new AFX rotor, concaves, sieve rails look ok. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would check your unload auger especially the 90 degree elbow. I had a 1688 that had a lot of corn through it and wore the heads off of the rivits on the inside of the tube. Never knew anything was wrong, untill one day when I went to swing out my auger, I was watching it come out of the saddle and it dropped three feet. Darn thing almost fell off. Ended up replacing vertical auger, and tube, new elbow and new auger and new unload tube.

·
Registered
105 Posts
my 96 2188 has 6400 E & 4500 R. About 1400 hours ago it had a new cage/cone, feeder floor, and all augers & unloading tubes. 1000 hrs ago new rear axle. About 600 hours ago I put new rotor torque sensing pulley, all new auger bed augers/bearings/shaft/gears (combines 3rd set), all new belts, front rotor bearing, a couple injector lines, & all engine pulleys/water pump/belt/tensioner.

I plan on running it another season. It is going to get a big makeover this winter, including:

lower grain tank bottom (going to try to cut out my old one and replace with a bolt-in bottom out of a HAJ)
new **** hole transition lower unloading housing (the piece with the clean-out door)
complete new clean grain elevator
new clean grain lower auger and trough
new tailings trough
new tailings elevator
complete shaker system makeover, including new bushings, Heartland's cleaning system repair kit, all new rubber seals
engine head gasket, and clean injectors
PTO unit rebuild
Hydro pump drive hub & input shaft
Field tracker install
Rock trap shaft & bearings
feederhouse bearings

I know that sounds like alot of stuff but I feel that I can do all this and know what I have vs. spending 100-150k+ on a late 23 or 25 with 1-2000 hrs, then having to start the repair and upkeep battle all over again. I ran this machine 800 hrs this season with a total of 2-1/2 days downtime. I feel a brand new machine would do no better. The death of these older combines will be the electrical. Until then, wrenches, torch & welder!

·
Registered
243 Posts
another thing to watch for is the sheetmetal where the unload auger slides into the saddle. Ours was wearing pretty thin and was about to wear through, but there are companys out that that sell kits to fix that problem. It just requires bolting on a new piece of tubing over the old one, you can do it in the field while you wait for the combine to warm up if need be.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have had the oportunity to work on cih, john deere, massey, gleaner and lexion combines. They all have their pros and cons as far as repair work goes and they all break from time to time no matter what colour they are. That being said I don't think that there is anything wrong with a high hour machine as long as it is properly maintained and is given a very good going over in the off season.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well if it were easy everyone would do it and yes I know what youre saying, my head hurts just thinking about it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts