The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we are looking for a combine, deciding between a Deere or IH. What would be a good size machine/model for roughly 100-200 acres of small grains. Wheat/Oats, Triticale etc? I have an older 4400 JD, but she just isn't up to the task anymore. We are predominately in the hay business, but have the opportunity to do a lot more small grains. We would be baling all the straw in small squares. I've been looking a lot at the 6620's. Is the IH 1440 the equivalent? Rotor vs walker? We are in the Northeast, so picking are a little slim around here. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
6620, 7720, 9400, 9500. All good choices for you. I'd avoid the 9600 model as its much larger and was often owned originally by a "BIG" farmer and "rode hard & put up wet".
I agree with above, find the one with the lowest hours and best maint.
It's hard to find good machines in the NE - too many rocks. You might consider a machine from C-IL, truck it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
6620, 7720, 9400, 9500. All good choices for you. I'd avoid the 9600 model as its much larger and was often owned originally by a "BIG" farmer and "rode hard & put up wet".
I agree with above, find the one with the lowest hours and best maint.
It's hard to find good machines in the NE - too many rocks. You might consider a machine from C-IL, truck it out.
I've been searching around Ohio and a little bit into PA. Mainly through Born Implement, Randall Bros. Jerry Zeisloft to name a couple. I see quite a few with 3-4k hrs. Pics look good on most.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Don't trust pictures. Easy to make a piece of **** look great on camera. Get a physical look at the machine.
Even then, Its hard to see hidden things. I bought a 9500 that looked in great shape - had run it, looked it over, did NOT think to turn on the unloading auger. Was told the reverser and unloading auger were rebuilt. Took it to my dealer, they started up the unloader - and the drive gear fell right off the machine (shaft broken, set in place), the unloading auger was new, but not aligned right so the splines were already shot. The reverser was rebuilt, but not right, that had to be redone. So my $18K became $40K....but at least I got a really good machine in great shape....now!
I guess what I'm sayin is expect repairs on whatever you buy. Get one that the basic machine looks clean & solid--where fixing a few things will make it a good long term investment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Even then, Its hard to see hidden things. I bought a 9500 that looked in great shape - had run it, looked it over, did NOT think to turn on the unloading auger. Was told the reverser and unloading auger were rebuilt. Took it to my dealer, they started up the unloader - and the drive gear fell right off the machine (shaft broken, set in place), the unloading auger was new, but not aligned right so the splines were already shot. The reverser was rebuilt, but not right, that had to be redone. So my $18K became $40K....but at least I got a really good machine in great shape....now!
I guess what I'm sayin is expect repairs on whatever you buy. Get one that the basic machine looks clean & solid--where fixing a few things will make it a good long term investment.
You sound like a guy with the same streak of luck as myself!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts