The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Being that it was shipped and sold in China where Massey has some brand recognition, It would make sense to me that they would paint it red and call it massey. If it was in Gleaner silver it would be something totally new and perhaps a more difficult sale?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Could be the same one....:D
Oh you got me while I was editing things. I didn't read the sold in china caption above the picture to busy looking at the picture and not engaging the brain before typing. So perhaps your quote might change

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I didnt intend on you taking it that way, I was meanin they couldnt have sent that many into China. Maybe the one that was on the truck heading to China in the picture I know your referring to, is the same one pictured above.

·
Registered
390 Posts
It's interesting to see what companies sell in other parts of the world. Just noticed recently that Massey sells quit the lineup of conventional combines in Europe. You'd think there almost would be a market for some of that stuff in North America.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Got my "dander" up now!

Even though it's not silver and doesn't say Gleaner on the side, it's kind of cool! I'm glad to see anything that keeps the transvers concept alive and kicking.
Might I add: as long as they keep them silver/gray here in the states. One thing I will mention, too, is the Nasty Funguson decals come off quite easily. I recently peeled them off of my new White planter. As soon as the weather warms up good here it will get some White decals applied to replace them. As far as I am concerned, it is a White planter, and those will always be Gleaner combines.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Shouldnt be long now till you will see yellow Gleaners or at least a yellow stripe on them with Gleaner by Challenger on the side. That ugly yellow should only be on the tracks and four wheel drives. The Challenger thing is bewildering. Pick one color and stick to it already.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't care what they call are paint equipment as long as it works you can get parts and my dealer knows how to fix it if I can't. Agco has come a long way and I will give them credit I'm sure some have had issues but others success and that's with any color.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Agco has gotten themselves into a position where they have a good product line but madness as far as branding. The only way to buy a high horsepower 4wd tractor is to buy a Challenger? Lots of Agco dealers around here that have no option for 4wds in the Agco family even though Agco builds one. Just one example that makes no sense.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I agree hope sometime soon if you want a 4 wheel drive tractor you could get it without having to buy from just the old cat dealer
Their marketing plan originally was that Challenger brand would be for the "Professional" type farmers, Massey for the mid grade, and AGCO for us real flunkies. Then Richenhagen, in his infinite wisdom, threw all of us flunkies under the bus. (I hope you can detect the sarcasm in that statement) We have one Challenger (purchased before the sh_t hit the fan), but most everything else around here is flunkie style. I reckon I will stay a flunkie until I can change to a brand that values all of their customers equally.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think back in the early nineties when AGCO was looking for an identity they should have used the Gleaner name on their complete line mostly the orange tractors. Worked on getting strong dealers and integrating MF tech into the Gleaner brand. Challenger track and 4wd machines could also have been worked in to the brand. Orange tractors and silver combines would have saved their ass in North America but now i think its too late

·
Registered
219 Posts
I agree that they would have been better off keeping the AC tractors. I think it was a shame they dropped White tractors as well. Heck, even Oliver had a lot of history and fanfare - they threw a lot of good brands in the garbage can.

They wanted to get the most mileage possible out of that Challenger name when they licensed it, that's why we have Challenger balers, haybines, MFWA tractors, combines etc. That diluted the hottest brand of the 90's - CAT Challenger was THE brand back then, now it's been watered down. They should have used the Challenger name ONLY on the tracked tractors. You can't just slap a hot brand on everything and hope it sells.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts