The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well,
I put the old 8010 in the shop today. I still have a lot of milo and beans to cut, but i could not stand the performance i was getting out of it. They are putting new tailings kit in it and are suppose to chec it over again. Very upset about the service from case on the 8010 and priced a 9870 deere today. I bleed red but heck with the way this is going, looks like the bandages is all green. Let me know if anyone has switched and the pros and cons of this type deal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the info

I have had the trouble with the feeder chain on my 04 as well. I now run it so tight i think it should break, but thats what case recommended me do. I have already changed my rotor, concave, and feeder drive sensors. I have also upgraded to the pro 600 software and latest version out there. Yes, I love red equipment, but our dealers and service is getting real crappy. I wonder about green and have been pricing combines. If I would make the swap do you recommend a 9760/70 sts or 9869/70 sts. Thanks for the info on this.
Ronnie

·
Registered
566 Posts
What do you harvest. We were kinda in the same boat as you are we had a 2388 and it had about 925hrs on it and it was always breaking down the the case dealer had been real crappy with us in the past and the rest of our iron was green so we bought a 9670. I sure hope this turns out to be a good Idea, but now we have a dealer with a good service department behind us. Anyways a 70 series in either of the two models would be a good choice. The 9870 would have a few nicer features such as more cleaning capacity, and a heavier feeder drive.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
This is going to be a tough answer with the amount of color wars going on. I'll give you a real life example: My neighbors had 3 8010s, 2007 models. They worked good the first 50 hrs and then everything went to pits, the computer was reading rotor speed at 800 but in reality it was more like 200 and it did this too all the sensors fan, rotor, concave. Once they got the right rpms it would change on its own. It was the first year case made split feeder chains but my neighbors had a heck of a time keeping them in line, would always jump a cog or break, they ran them very tight very loose nothing seemed to cure it. The dealer was out there working with them all the time but couldn't figure it out. All the operators wanted green so when winter came around they went and bought . . . three 2008 8010s. I think what sold them more than anything was the dealer support, our green dealer is great but they just like the red dealer better.

Personally I have driven a 8010 and I will continue to enjoy my Deere more, even if other brands make larger combines I still like how the Deere works. I guess you could call me, everybody's favorite word . . . colorblind

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
My neighbor had 2388s and they gave him alot of trouble so he bought 9770s and they are a bit of a jump up in capacity. I have driven a 2004 8010 and I thought it was pretty much identical to our 9860s. We didn't know how to set the 8010 properly so it threw a bit more grain over but I think it had potential to be the same as a deere. If you want the same capacity or maybe a little more then I would go with a 9870, we have ours waiting in the shop right now but our crop is not ready so I have no idea if the capacity has increased over the 9860. Good luck, not sure if you can get a 2009 Deere or at least pickings are slim.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Just another thought, usually most dealers will give you a disloyalty discount. Which I think is the dumbest thing because they reward you for switching colors but then say screw you to the diehard customers. If you are thinking about a new 8010 you might get a better deal on green in the end.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you decide to go green I highly reccomend the 9870 we ran them this year on harvest and really liked the way they perform. We made the switch from 4 9650 walkers to three 9860s three years ago and really like the the sts performs. I definitly think that the bullet rotor was a major improvement over the original and i do believe that the extra cleaning capacity of the 9870 over the 9860 helped out. Also the higher capacity clean grain elevator in the 9870 should be nice when corn comes around.

·
Registered
188 Posts
We had 2 8010's 03 and 05 they told us they had bugs worked out on 05 and the 07 they wanted us to trade for. the 05 did not. we traded for green instead of 07 8010 and never been happier, They will be a heck of a machine if they ever do get them fixed though, I just can't afford the downtime of CNH learning and fixing there machines on our time I thought they should of done that in there test years.

·
Registered
187 Posts
As these combines become increasingly complicated to work on it comes down to dealer service. We have a great Case Dealer and a crappy John Deere dealer. We ran 2388's for years and last summer rented a 7010 and a JD 9660 sts. John Deere was out most of harvest trying to keep it going. Tech worked on it all day starring at his laptop trying to figure out what was wrong. Grain moisture sensor went out and messed up the other computer modules. They are all hooked together on one wiring harness. There is a good idea! I finally unplugged the sensor and cut. The 7010 out cut the 9660 and used way less fuel doing it. We bought a 2008 7010 and have 4,000 acres on it and haven't had a single break-down. Only compalint is the unloading auger dribbling out grain after you are done dumping, they need to fix that. Sorry you have had bad luck with your 8010. No matter what color it is nothing is more frustrating than working on a combine when the weather is right to be cutting. Hope you get things worked out no matter what color.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I would hope so, considering a 7010 is a large class 7 and can pretty much hang with a 8010. The 9660 is the same design from 1989, not hard to believe the 7010 would run circles around it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We had the opportunity to run an 8010, CR970, JD9860 and 9870 this year. I could write pages about what I liked and what I didn't about each of these combines, but I don't think that's the intent of this thread. I've commented before on this site that I believe these combines are all very similar in capacity. We have run JD for the last few years so are very familiar with them and are generally happy with the job that they do on the various crops that we plant. If there were a significant difference in $ from JD to Case, I wouldn't hesitate to change. We try not to burn any bridges and keep our options open. I think that if your dealer believes that you are hooked on a particular brand, you've just lost a lot of your bargaining power. For every disaster story I've read on this site about a particular brand, I've read a success story and vice versa.

G

·
we wanted to buy a 9770 last winter, but we never got 2 it. So when spring came they couldn't deliver any 9770 for 2008 crop. So we decided to wait and see how our neighbour was doing.
Well at first I liked the way John Deere build it's combines. But when he started threshing his wheat I found that he had a lack of capacity. It turned out that there was something with his sieve that wasn't adjustable so he lost a lot of crop out of the back of the combine. That why he had to slow down to 3.5 miles an hour.
I phoned our local JD dealer for a Demo, but they never send me one. So I start looking at other colors. I phoned our local Case dealer, who's knowns for the best service, He told me he couldn't get a new 8010 out there so he send an 04 8010,
He explained everything i needed 2 know to run the combine and he explained the maintainance points on them, I like it, you could adjust the concave on the rotor which i liked. Then we ran the combine in a 140 bushel oats crop. I was amazed by it's performance. It was going 6 miles an hour. At first I was worried that there wasn't any crop coming in. But apparently the 8010 fills the hopper differently than our deere. We put the straw and chaff on a swath to see what it's loss was, and we were just amazed, there was less than 0.5% loss. So I told him to come back with a price on it. The next day he dropped of a cash price on that 04 combine and a new 8120. Both these prices were absolutly not reasonable, so now were just waiting for the price of equipment to go down, cause with these prices I don't think many farmers will a combine this year.

Was wondering if I could fit my 930F on a 8010 I heard stories that you could, but i'm not sure what i'm going to need for that.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Yeah it kinda sucks there becoming so complicated and dealers are being spread so thin all at the same time.....

but what dealers are left will have to be on top of there game and will need to be great at there jobs and have good mechanics or it won't take long at all for a guy to swtich dealers/brands.....

·
Registered
566 Posts
gall dang that 9670 can eat the stuff and keep on goin' we have been very impressed.
the neighboors used to have gleaners and they bought JDs and, told the other neighboor nowonder why you always are smiling cause that JD just kicks a**.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We made the switch this year from a 2188 to a 2007 9760 and could not be happier. Has way more HP and capacity then our 2188 and uses less fuel too. Our neighbor has a 04 8010 and has had nothing but problems with it. He has been having a lot of trouble getting the HP out of it that it's supposed to have. During soybeans and wheat harvest he could only go 3 mph and could not unload on the go at all. Where as we were able to run 5.5 to 6 and that was while unloading on the go. He demoed a 9870 this year and was very impressed. Told the guys at our Case dealer that if they didn't get his fixed by the end of harvest this year he'd be running a green one next year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Stay with Red 8010 has alot more sieve area (JD have just lenghtened their precleaner),fuel usage is unreal (45 litres per hour in canola), cab is much quieter, deslug mode is great(can turn rotor and feeder chain backwards when pluged) transmission drive rotor, 8 less belts, far more over all capacity, colour touch screen very good once you make freinds with it. 2007 model 8010 done 500 hours no break downs at all, paid $30,000.00 more than a 9870 worth every cent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts