The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to add a chopper to 1660. Thought about the TSR, have seen and heard about them, but would like to hear any opinions and info on the Redekop .

Redtech1 talked about it briefly about the one in the background of his photo of the grain tank removal thread. He mentioned the Redekop is usually cheaper to add .I saw in their literature you still need to add the factory chopper drive like when adding a TSR or factory style.
Any have any experiece with one .

TIA

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
We have a Redekop on our 8780 XP, very, very good chopper, we are going to remove a little shielding on the spreader board to get a better spread. Bottom line--it chops really well in dry and wet conditions, no comparison to any other chopper (factory deere, case, massey) I have been around. Knife wear is not what we were hoping for, but it has run a lot more material through it in the hours we have run it than any other chopper we have had. I am sure that those knives aren't cheap either...but a guy can't have everything.

Have no idea on adding one to 1660, the Redekop is the "factory" AGCO chopper. You will really like it.

On a 1660 I might look at which requires less HP. Have no idea what your conditions are like but I think that should be a consideration on adding any chopper.

You will not be disappointed in the performance of the Redekop

my .02

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I too am looking at a chopper for my 1680. The main problem I have is figuring out how to get the material spread out after it leaves the rotor so it will utilize the entire width of the chopper and also spread evenly. Is there any such "kit" or method of doing this? How well do the redekop knives wear?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have added in my post that I raise corn and soybeans, no wheat. I'm wanting to chop and spread my bean straw. I'm going to a 25' 1020 this fall, had a 20', so with extra trash want to get it chopped and spread out. It appears that the way the Redekop mounts it would probably definitely do a better job spreading I would think?

I would sure like to hear if any one has one on a 1660 and doing beans with a 25' head.

Mine has the IH motor 180hp I run a 6 row drago with chopper in corn and have enough power for that but would be curious to know if I can expect a big horsepower draw from the straw chopper.

·
Registered
165 Posts
we have 3 john deere 9600's. one has the Redekop Chopper and it does a great job, and is very easy to identify where the combine with the redekop chopper has been in the field.
one bad thing is that it takes a lot of power, and in crops like wheat it will slow you down, because the straw chopper low speed warning light will come on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
we have seen the odd 1660 and 1666 with a redekop chopper, haven't heard any of the guys really complain about power, but we are wheat, barley, canola, oats country up here. have no idea about soybeans and corn.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ole815, I dont mean to chang e the subject here but I see you run a Drago corn head. I am thinking of getting one, would run a 8 row on a 1680, do i have enough power? Do the auto deck plates and longer, slower stalk rolls save as much corn as they say? How good does it chop the stalks and at what speed do you run?

·
Registered
475 Posts

Redekop on 2188 in 55 bu wheat. There is a pretty good breeze from the left and that's blowing a lot of it to the right. In the right conditions it'll put it out 30'

Here it is in red lentils. I don't have a shot of it in peas, but that would be the closest thing we have to soybean.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the pics olblue.

I emailed Redekop and am waiting to hear back on some info.

Looks like all straw and chaff from sieves go through chopper. I read where it swings out of way to get to seives. Kinda wondering how it differs compared to a long sieve combine like your 2188 to a short sieve like my 1660?

·
Registered
475 Posts
They'll have to answer that one. There is a panel that goes between the mouth of the chopper and the top sieve so all the chaff and straw go through the chopper.

I do notice a hp difference. But there is no other way to do what I'm doing without it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They look like they work really nice but have a heck of a price tag. Was hoping they would be comparible in price

Will cost 3 1/2 times what a TSR would cost. Would like to have one but can't justify near $10,000 for that set-up,chopper and chopper drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Redekop Chopper For Sale: I ran the Redekop Chopper on a 1660 with a 25' 1020 header, this is a real chopper! I traded for a 2188 dealer would not allow me any more trade in value with extras on combine. Here is a list of some of the items I would like to sale. Redekop Chopper with drive complete, Gorden Helical concaves, Gorden Rotor Bars, Gorden Air Jet Concave these are the main ones. Anyone Interested email me [email protected]

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:They look like they work really nice but have a heck of a price tag. Was hoping they would be comparible in price

Will cost 3 1/2 times what a TSR would cost. Would like to have one but can't justify near $10,000 for that set-up,chopper and chopper drive.

For me it saves a pass with the 4wd and owning a set of heavy harrows. I know it cost a lot to buy, I have to put $750 worth of blades in it every 4000 acres and I know it takes more fuel and cuts productivity. But those costs aren't as high as a separate operation for straw management.

Redekop choppers flat out work. There's a reason that JD puts them on STS combines. I can't confirm it, but a CaseIH sales rep told me that Redekop consulted on the internal chopper in the 7/8010.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts