The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'd like to improve our combine chopper to actually chop straw and cut it a bit finer and I had a few questions. Everyone says get a Redekop and those who have say they like them, however my neighbor got on last fall and he doesn't like it at all. Said he had lots of problems smoking the chopper belts, but I haven't gone over and asked why and to look at it yet. Also, I did find some guys saying when combing the Redekop chopper is the limiting factor inside of threshing.
So being it is going to need more power then a factory chopper, what are my best options for chipping a 9600. Is there something that's reasonably basic to install that I can get in a months time that's proven to work? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
268 Posts
My uncle added an aftermarket Redekop to a 9610 combine a while back, it definitely uses quite a bit more ponies. What he found was adjusting the knives to be slightly less aggressive in tougher conditions it did a better job. Saved some HP and belts, when your limited on HP to begin with you cant expect the world with it but you will see improvement over factory chopper im sure

·
Registered
357 Posts
We have had ours on for over 10 years. Have never smoked a Belt. Chopping wise it is way better than OEM. Ours has a double belt and if I remember correctly runs a bit faster than OEM chopper.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
That would be interesting if you could take a peek at the neighbors combine to see if he has double groove belts or singles like what the basic factory JD chopper came with. Both of our 9600's came with the Redekop factory option chopper of the time and had the factory double belt pulleys. We found that the bent style hammers that also serve as the ability to blow the straw farther would wear rather quickly and not chop as well so three years back we decided to set those choppers to the side and put in the latest style of MAV chopper rotor from Redekop and also the optional floor plate which is meant for the extra fine stationary chopper knive setup as I believe they are only 1 inch apart. All the chopper blades are flat on this newer style and carbide coated, then has the fan assembly in each end. So currently that would probably be the choices I assume, going with a fine cut chopper that has stationary knives set farther apart or going with what we did to get as fine as possible. So far we've been happy with the new style and it certainly cuts up the straw quite a bit better then the original style Redekop did and perhaps its because we don't push our combines but we've never burnt a belt off and they have lasted well. Also I wouldn't say that our new extra fine cut choppers use more power then what the old Redekop's did but its rather impossible to know for sure.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The 9600 does not have the power to handle a redekop chopper, as
mentioned. Just make your chopper better, the Clevertech hammer is a
bigger heavy duty knife, that will make your chopper better.

I have put 2 sets on my 9610, they really help shred the straw.
I am not a salesman, just a happy user. Laser cut and balanced.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Take a look at a Rodono chopper rotor I have ran them in our 8820's and 9600's they do a good job of chopping with out using a lot of HP. 403-784-3864 Clive AB.

·
Registered
96 Posts
We used a Redekop MAV chopper (NOT extra fine cut) in our 9600 for several years and liked it a lot. We had no trouble with the double belt that came with the kit. It used more power than the standard chopper but unless climbing steep hills we did not feel power was the limiting factor.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are wanting to get the "new" style with the fans blades and floor. I figured it would use enough extra power to warrant a chip but maybe not.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I don't believe the floor assembly is required if you don't go with the extra fine option, definitely it adds a fair bit to the price to get that floor and the extra fine cut stationary assembly. I was told that if one wasn't running that wide of a header that three out of the six fan blades could be removed on both sides to reduce the horsepower requirements, its something worth asking them to see if they condone that and what width spread would still be retained with the reduced air flow.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I put a Johnson Super Chopper on a 9500 one time it has two sets of knives in it, and it made a big difference. It's just the chopper floor and I think at that time I bought it was around $1200.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I ran the Redekop MAV with the fans, and the Redekop stationary knives, but without the extra fine option in my 8820 T2. I am running the stock JD drive with no problem with belt slipping. Deere never put a grease fitting in the bushing that the belt tensioner pivots on. Put a grease fitting in, and grease regularly, and the chopper drive stops slipping because the tensioning system actually is free to take up the belt tension under load instead of the whole thing pack full of dust and not move properly. I feel that it uses less power than the old JD chopper because this unit is using 4 rows of rotating knives, taking a smaller bite, but more often, instead of Deere's 3 rows of blunt hammers trying to rip and pull the straw through the stationary knives. If it is using more power, it is not noticeable

Friends 9600 would always give a slow chopper warning when the straw would get tough. Again, the tensioning arm and spring were adjusted properly but in his case, the plastic grommet that the tensioning rod runs through was so tight on the tensioning rod, it was basically not allowing the tensioner to take up any slack in the belt when the chopper was under load.

·
Banned
57 Posts
I purchased 9610 with Rodono chopper for 2013 harvest and was very happy with performance and never noticed lack of power even in tough conditions. I am planning to get one for my 9600 for this harvest after seeing the difference between conventional chopper and fine cut.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts