The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got word that my normal malt contracts are going to be drastically reduced . Even though I was assured all fall and winter that there was no need to grow any winter wheat that I would have all the malt acres that I needed..... I don't blame my buyer it the company's that he deals with.... I guess that is why you don't put all your eggs in one basket ... On the ground that i have available is not good at all for spring wheat you can top dress with N give it a load of N and you will still be short on protein . Even on a hot dry year the protein stays nice and low on my malt barley...I have not grown peas in a few years pretty much will have to spray for bugs for sure . Not to many places to go with peas in this part or get contracts .. looking into that now. there are some non gmo canola contracts available never grown canola before will be going into no till barley chem fallow little worried if I can get it seeded shallow and consistent enough . straw is from 70 -100 bu using a case hoe adx drill 0n 9.8 " spacing using dutch paired openers ... very few canola acres in this area . I use to grow a lot of feed oats my main buyer started growing his own so that dried up then my next main buyer I think is having $ problems I cant afford to grow 30-60 K bu. of oats and not get paid.... Not sure what I will do . this is in sw Montana all dry land all chem fallow ....

·
Registered
501 Posts
Unless you have sandy soil which causes your N to leach out or prolonged flooding, I would think the low Protein in your wheat is just from not using enough N fertilizer.

Guessing here, but 100 bushels of barley is probably capable of growing 70 bushels of spring wheat, which will need 170- 190 lbs of N. Thinking not much available from the barley fallow.

Probably needs 150 lbs actual N applied at seeding.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I was looking to get into malt this year as an alternate cereal, one buyer told me they're not bringing on new growers because beer/malt demand has plateaued and maybe come down a little. He thought legal pot had something to do with it.

On protein in wheat. Think ESN would help? (slow release urea) though maybe it's a waste in such a dry area. Sulphur is also important in protein production but is often overlooked. Wonder if you have an S deficiency.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Im also in Montana. I didn't realize contracts were still getting cut. Most in our area have actually been getting some of their acres back. I've been told that white claws and other seltzers have really taken off which has put a big dent in the barley industry. As far as other crops to grow there isn't much that looks appealing because of profit. Last year we grew winter wheat, barley, spring wheat, canola, lentils and chick peas. If you were to ask me for my opinion I'd tell you to grow some lentils if you can find the seed for cheap or talk to Cargill and get a fish oil canola contract. The seed is free and canola doesn't take a ton of fert so it'll be a low input crop which will help ya feel better. Any questions just let me know, we farm just north of great falls.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
For most of us canola seed is very expensive and the crop takes a lot of inputs to get a reasonable yield. 1dyer9 I am guessing you were thinking of Mustard not canola. Mustard is a totally different beast compared to canola.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No its canola, In Montana its become a big thing last couple years! Its a high omega 3 canola grown to feed salmon. Seed is free up to 5lb/acre, fertilizer cost is half of what our winter wheat takes in this area so not sure why you are thinking unicorns exist but go on being thick headed. Thought we were all here to learn! Good day

·
Registered
860 Posts
No its canola, In Montana its become a big thing last couple years! Its a high omega 3 canola grown to feed salmon. Seed is free up to 5lb/acre, fertilizer cost is half of what our winter wheat takes in this area so not sure why you are thinking unicorns exist but go on being thick headed. Thought we were all here to learn! Good day
Canola or camelina? What kind of yields are you getting?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Wow don’t get but hurt there Nancy it was a joke on optimism. It’s no surprise we’re sucking hind teat on any new developments here in probably the largest canola producing area in the world. Where seed costs the most and fertility rate is the highest.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Maybe tone it down a bit. Pretty sure the intent wasn’t to be a dick although he can come across that way sometimes! Haha ?, now I’m being a dick! Im just trying to be funny so don’t take it the wrong way Joe!
I about spit my coffee out when I read ‘canola cheap to grow with low inputs’ that’s not the case anywhere I know off. First thought that came to mind for me was you were talking about Polish canola, which we had a hard time finding seed 10 years ago so that didn’t make any sense. My second thought was maybe he’s talking about mustard. Last poster thought maybe you were thinking camelina so don’t think we all out lunch.
Obviously you weren’t talking about any those and googled this high omega fish feed canola your talking about as I’ve never heard of it. It is interesting, I didn’t look beyond first page but all articles 2019 or newer so don’t fault anyone for not knowing about it. Cargill has some seed available this year for us Canadians but article I read basically said don’t grow it if you don’t have buyer as all grain companies worried about contamination with our normal food grade highbred canola.
I don’t get how they can just give seed away either. You sign contract for whatever volume and they just give you seed?

·
Registered
300 Posts
You hit sent before me joe. Pretend my response was before yours. Wish I would have included Nancy. That was money.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Still sounds fishy! Still trying to dry the coffee off my keyboard after joes comments! What are the yields like is it herbicide tolerant , could a guy throw in 3000 acres and have a market guarantee to take full production. I like to throw in at least 150 lbs actual nitrogen for a 50 bushel crop, my break even is around 36 bushels so its not cheap by any means. I have had little luck with speciality canola or what ever you call it these days. Tried nexera, Hear, Cargill specialty canola , Clearfield canola and in my experience you cant beat the yield and net profit of Invigor canola. These specialty canolas Always sounds good in the coffee shop in spring but the combine separates the bull! Hats off to the few that try these programs but I know with my experience with back to back trails nothing beats yield from Invigor. Sometimes the delivery contracts of these speciality canola can sometimes hand cuff a guys cashflow. I like being in full control. Like I said earlier give more details of your fishy canola contract. Cargill has never given any seed away for free at home here expect maybe for one bag if I agree to sell crop to them for three years! Need more infor .

·
Registered
304 Posts
Oat King Which part the seed or low fert?
Checked out the Cargill website and its a Basf branded canola. Maybe we have a different view on what is low inputs. Canola seed lists in canada for around 640 to 720 dollars a bag depending on retailer and seed treatment. Fertilizer for a 40 to 60 plus bushel an acre crop can easily top 100 bucks an acre. In Canadian dollars quoted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oat king read the post! SEED IS FREE, Fertilizer is half the cost of what we use for winter wheat in Montana. Don't know how it can get much cheaper then that! Since you guys got all the answers ill just let you help him out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I get that the seed is FREE, but how half the fertilizer cost? What are you using for fertilizer rates? Extension literature and personal experience tells me to fertilizer similar to a spring wheat crop if I want good yields. Fail to see how you can skimp on the fertilizer and still come out in the black. Not trying to attack you, just want to know if this is something I need to be looking into.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts