The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new holland combine on a fd75 and was wondering if there is a reel speed sensor kit? I see in the owners manual, they have for John deere, agco, and claas, but nothing for case ih/new holland. I think the head would work better if it had that sensor. Anyone know if they offer anything like that? If you do, do you have part numbers for the parts? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,214 Posts
It’s to do with CNH having a different voltage for sensors from everyone else, they have to be sourced from CNH.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Nope, sorry. CNH combines/heads don't use a reel speed sensor. They set reel speed as a function of ground speed, and whatever adjustment you set in the cab. I've not seen a reel speed sensor yet on any modern CNH head. CIH combines don't even have a wire for it. The water muddies a bit with NH....as the NH combines actually have a reel speed sensor WIRE in the header connector (pin 7 for the curious). But the heads don't have one. For instance, the 880CF tech manual shows "reel speed" in the TOC, but when you go to the section, its "Not Used". The software likely does not support it either.

Kinda crazy---as the wiring has been there since the CR940 combines, its one of those "We plan to support this someday, but not this model...."

·
Super Moderator
3,214 Posts
Nope, sorry. CNH combines/heads don't use a reel speed sensor. They set reel speed as a function of ground speed, and whatever adjustment you set in the cab. I've not seen a reel speed sensor yet on any modern CNH head. CIH combines don't even have a wire for it. The water muddies a bit with NH....as the NH combines actually have a reel speed sensor WIRE in the header connector (pin 7 for the curious). But the heads don't have one. For instance, the 880CF tech manual shows "reel speed" in the TOC, but when you go to the section, its "Not Used". The software likely does not support it either.

Kinda crazy---as the wiring has been there since the CR940 combines, its one of those "We plan to support this someday, but not this model...."
Thanks for jumping in Jeff, even though you prove me completely wrong, my background was with only remote observer status with NH combines and thought MacDon used a NH sensor, obviously not.

Sorry Just enough, I gave you too much of my incorrect knowledge.

I actually can’t see why straight combine ground speed offset indexing wouldn’t work fine anyway.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Don...ground speed indexing works fine, as long as the oil flow remains a constant ratio, no leaks, no change from oil temp, heavier crop to drag in.....

A sensor on the reel does give active management of all those issues....oil heats up and reel slows down, now it knows and can bump the flow a little.

Of course, some of us never even use auto reel speed in the first place, so any of the above are better.....

·
Super Moderator
3,214 Posts
Good points Jeff, I am a user, lol!
I’d like to think Claas headers on their own combines indexes better than MacDon does.
Either that or my idea proper indexing and Claases are different.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Indexing works pretty well on Case combines. I rarely use manual speed and rarely adjust the index speed, although the console knob makes it super easy to dial in. I wouldn't expect that a reel speed sensor would gain me anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts