The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends, I am the new owner of a JD 925 flex head mounted to a 8780 Massey combine using a Bish adapter. This season while running Soybeans the reel is wrapping to the point I have to get off the combine five to six times a round.I am actually spending more time digging the bean straw out of reel than combining. I have tried changing the pitch of the tines, moving the reel fore and aft,and lifted the reel to the point it doesn't wrap, but the beans don't feed into the table auger either.This years crop seems to be very vinney and the straw is still on the damp side, but my neighbors are running with no problems.In the old days we used to put drainage tile on the reel to keep it from wrapping, and I'm willing to do that, but am open to any other suggestions. Thanks, Redblood

·
Registered
39 Posts
If your JD 925 head is below serial # 645300 (teardrop style reel) it may not have plates that go between the spider arms at each end of the reel. The plates make the reel end solid not just 6 arms sticking out from center tube. This makes a great difference as material can't get into excentric parts where it wraps up. The later pipe style reels all have a closed ends. I think the JD part # is H134693 (for old teardrop reel) price is $65.00 But I am not sure if that is 1 complete end or 1 plate x 6 to make 1 end. 6750jd

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think that is $65/each, requiring 6 to make it complete.

As to your problem about reel wrap, I don't understand where the wrapping is taking place. Is it on the ends, on the outside of the bats?

Many years ago we had a JD 6600 (I was just a big kid at the time) and chemical did not do a good job at weed control in milo. The weeds were de-railing the chain that drove the reel. I remember my Granddad driving the combine up to the shop and he welded a long 1/4" rod onto the side of the header. The rod made a guard to deflect the weeds so they could not wrap around the chain-driven reel drive assembly. It wasn't pretty, and I rememmber him cutting it off soon after we were done...but it definitely served the purpose.
I am telling you all of this because you might be better off brewing up something that will get you to your goal, rather than throw new parts at your header in hopes of upgrading it to the point that it doesnt do that anymore.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies.The 925 I run is a '98 model where the ends are mostly closed,with what I call the pipe style reel. I installed new plastic bearings,which helped a little,and also drainage tile. The reel still wraps all over. Usually not at the ends.I have finally decided that I was just" jumping the gun". My bean straw is too damp and I"ll have to wait untill the sun comes out and we get warmer temps(looks like a long wait). Yields look respectable,But its going to be a long harvest with the rain and cool temps in NW Ohio. Stay safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts