The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I didn't clean out auger well enough after loading fertilizer. Trucker called to say load rejected at crusher. Cant be much but I guess enough. What now? Can fert be cleaned out? Will a elevator take it?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Any chance the truckers trailers weren't cleaned out from a previous load or are you pretty confident it came from your auger? About 4 years ago I had a large pulse buyer's own fleet truck show up at my place to grab lentils with a brand new Doepker Legacy. While the auger was warming up I wanted to check the trailers out as they were new on the market at the time. Looked in the hoppers and there was approx 100lbs of nitrogen mixed in with some chickpeas sitting in the first hopper I looked in. Guess they were doing some back hauling. Every truck that enters our yard gets a full hopper inspection now. While this was certainly the worst case, it hasn't been the only case. Seems a lot of truckers think just driving down the road and opening their slides will clean the trailers out. They put up a real fuss when I point out all the bits of fertilizer hung up in the hoppers and they have to get in and sweep (a lot don't even carry brooms).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately it probably can from my auger. Was moving canola around when fert came. Used same tractor and auger because it was cold and they were running. Thought I cleaned it out good enough but obviously not. Probably should of run a few bushels of barley through it and dumped it in the bush first before using on canola.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Technically, it is not zero tolerance, but it is very low. If the concentration is less than 1.0% Fertilizer pellets, they are considered as stone. Anything over 1.0% is held suspect contaminated grain.
The tricky part is anything over 0.05% in all grades becomes up to the buyer to call it rejected account stones, or sample account stones.
And anything over 2.5% fert pellets becomes sample salvage (pretty much landfill).

I would suggest if your numbers are not really high, call around, tell them what you have. You are going to take a kick in the pants on price, but it is better than paying a landfill to dump it for you. If you have an elevator that handles enough canola and they have the time they may special bin it for you and blend or IP ship it to the coast and blend it there.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Tell the driver to go have lunch some were and try taking the load in the afternoon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts