The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I went to change my sprayer tires for the first time on my new sprayer. I use a spear attached to my pallet forks to lift the tire at the hole at the top of the rim. Some dumbass engineer figured it would be a good idea to put the valve stem right above this hole so when ya pick up tire you run the risk of damaging the valve stem. Is it possible to drill another hole in the rim and put a new valve stem in and cap the old hole flush.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Yes. Have done the exact same thing on a sprayer rim. Had to put a new tube in and the valve stems were longer and they hit the frame breaking them off. Can get a special plug from the tire shop or NAPA for the existing hole. Has a rubber washer on to seal if its a tubeless tire. Drill the new hole the same size as the old and make sure the edges are smooth.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Engineer doing something ass backwards? Say it ain't so. You could also tack a pipe around the valve stem just big enough to get the air chuck in. I have done it on a cultivator that would always break the stem off at any hint of mud. Its easier than moving the stem, but not as pretty of a solution.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Engineer doing something ass backwards? Say it ain't so. You could also tack a pipe around the valve stem just big enough to get the air chuck in. I have done it on a cultivator that would always break the stem off at any hint of mud. Its easier than moving the stem, but not as pretty of a solution.
have done this as well, with good results.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Why don't you just cut another lifting hole in the rim ? Then you don't need to bother taking all the tires off the rims drilling holes hoping there located correctly and smooth enough not to chafe..
If there's one hole cut where the valve stem is cut another 180° and away ya go!

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
The pipe around the stem isd the best because some day when you stick it in the mud or the tire is laying down you will catch one eventually with the skid steer fork.
I have pipes on mine and carry a straight Chuck in the sprayer just for them wheels

·
Registered
36 Posts
Worked on tires for a few years and never damaged a stem, we always use the center hole to pick them up, way less chance of hitting the stem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts