The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started cleaning up piles with a new (to me) VRX with 180 hours on it. The wheat is 20-22% and I'm using 1 piece of metal flex and then the rubber hose. I have a JD 4320 on it and it makes it smoke but holds 1000 rpm on the vac tach.

It's moving less than 30 bushels a minute and I sure expected more.

Where should I start looking or is that it with this wet grain?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
If your in 20% sprouted wheat, you can barely shovel that crap... welcome to my world. I wouldn't be looking for problems until you try it out in dry grain.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Rubber hose is best used for clean up. They are a capacity killer. Vacs work best using short runs of metal flex hose. Every time you add a hose length you will lose capacity.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Be sure all doors are closed. Clean out, door at end of auger. I believe I just yesterday read 18lbs of force to open the door at end of auger? No big leaks.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
You get that thing running full tilt in wet grain and you'll plug it and fry the belts... go slow or use another machine.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The auger seems to be running almost empty. The sight glass shows the odd bouncing kernel but no buildup anywhere?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Steel flex hose of the same length will likely do 3 or more times the capacity of the rubber flex hose. I've never actually kept track, but it sure looks like it when you watch what comes out of the auger. Rubber hose is the last resort. The rubber hose will also need a lot more air coming in the nozzle. Can't bury the end in the grain.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
For the amount of grain you need to move I would suggest an industrial 4 wheel loader and an end dump truck... probably a tandem if it's going to hang up in the front corners of an end dump. I'm not sure the stuff I'm working with will even flow out of hoppered trailer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts