The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2 years it's time to flip the chopper blades in our 8230's, 1/2" impact won't budge them, 3/4" impact doesn't fit and we've broke 2 breaker bars trying to bust the bolts free!! Any auggestions? Do they use red thread locker from factory? Not really liking the idea of a torch!

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I am not at all familiar with the choppers/size of bolts that those combines use but the reason I am speaking up is one of curiosity as that sounds crazy to be breaking breaker bars. How large are these bolts and/or the socket size that is needed ?. Do you have a torque figure from Case for these bolts which may help explain why they are so tight.

What exact type of air impact are you using, compressor pressure and hose length/size and coupler size. I see it so many times with too many couplers in line or not large enough couplers and some piddly air pressure regulating valve on the compressor that can't pass at all whats really needed.

Although not the same application but an example of taking tractor trailer lug nuts off that were torqued to 500 lb and I was using an IR impact like this to do it with, yes it took a bit of hammering on each nut as of course a three quarter impact should be used but just showed it could do it.

Maybe not the best suggestion but pour the air through a good quality impact and wear protective gear, hearing of course and a face shield as things can fly when pushed. Also what Honda Man suggested could be a good alternative but I guess I'm still used to air tools and pushing some good air through them to get the performance !.

Ingersoll Rand | 2135TiMAX

·
Registered
460 Posts
You might have to use a wrench and a hammer to get them loose. A little jarring gets them most times. Or get a 3/4 inch socket set. They are very tight. Might have to try loosing the bolt via both ends.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Using a 3/8" air hose, I know it's not a proper size hose for that size of impact, but it's what is available right now in our shop! It's a case impact, which I believe is actually a snap on! Might have to rig up a bigger hose. Will try the wrench and hammer trick in the morning! All I can say is I'm glad they aren't magma cuts
Or 3 combines might take until next harvest!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I would think you would need a 1/2 breaker bar with a hammer to break loose...If they used yellow lock tight you will need to add some heat to the nuts, to loosen....

Those are bolts you don't want to come loose, so be sure to tighten to spec and add lock tight

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Not in the know of what a Case impact really is but I would be surprised if it was the high end Snap-On unit, could be the Snap-On companies lower line "Blue Point" . I do really like my Ingersoll though as its light and powerful but I don't care what impact it is, if not enough air gets to it, they never perform.

I assume you have a coupler at the impact, as long as no other couplers are in that length of line or any restrictions at the compressor, close the outlet valve at the pressure tank and take off the coupler from the hose, same with the male end on the impact and assuming the hose has a 1/4 pipe thread as would your impact, screw it in directly. If you can't get that impact or a higher end one ( you may have a friend who you can borrow a better impact from just to try it ) as well as 1/2 hose, maybe you would have to end up heating one side of a nut and "could" give you just the advantage you need to break it loose. Certainly sounds like they created something more impossible then it should have been to deal with !. Line up the water hose/truck and fire extinguishers before heating inside the combine ;)

Have you consulted the dealer to see what method they use ?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sounds like your up against the same thing we were last fall! We have the 40 blade magna cut that use a 5/8 flanged bolt and nut.(my other machine only has 1/2 bolts) My 3/4 inpact could only get at 1 bolt per knife and it loosed some but not all. We ended up using a air hammer to rotate the nut slightly to loosen it, then put a open end on the damaged nut and turned the bolt with a ratchet. Im sure you know but just in case, flip one at a time, those magnas are very sensative to balance! Have fun!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.