The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used 780 that needed some work. Needs new flights on the rotors. I have a big skid steer. Can I pull them out the back with some fork extensions?

Give me some tips please!

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I've never removed them but they aren't that heavy, just long.

What do you mean flights? How many hours?

The rotor elements on these last a long time, as the rotors dont thresh and the material is already processed. Are you confident it needs repaired? Pictures?

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Piece of cake to pull them from the back. Not sure a skid steer would lift heigh enough though.

But like seedcleaner says I can’t imagine them being worn out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The inspection report says "Replace rotor flighting and flip caps" and has it down for 16 hours of labor

What should I check out?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Post a few pictures of the rotor caps. They can be seen easily by folding down the chopper and climb up the ladder to the back of the rotors. How many hours? They should last well over 1500 hours IMO. Maybe the flights at the very front of the rotor need replaced. Some of those can be done with it still installed in the machine, but it isn't real accessible.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Pulling the rotors is quite easy, if doing both it takes about 8hrs, a skidsteer wont lift high enough. Like seedcleaner said they maybe dont need replacing. Check the elephant ears at the front of the rotors, they are the first thing to wear and can be changed from the grain tank, not an easy job.
If you do remove the rotors make sure to change front bearings, full set of rotor wearing parts will set you back $10,000 plus.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you pulled the stock impeller out to replace with a sunny brook, it would be easy to replace the elephant ears and check rotor bearings at that time. Picked up a 760tt from rice country, 700 separator hours had worn over an inch off the chromed rice elephant ears. We built them up them ourselves,took new bolts ,rice had burned off the heads. You can get at most from the impeller area. The sunnybrook will let you use the added power of the 780. Good luck! tiger

1 - 7 of 7 Posts