The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are on homeplate stretch of finishing high moisture corn harvest but have recently starting experiencing a menacing problem. The cleaning shoe/fan drive/ conveyor auger drive belt keeps failing around 20 sep hours on BOTH of our 2 S670's.

The first couple breaks we chalked up to an accumulation of a hard grind of wet material buildup and old belt fatigue in hi moisture. After changing out the belt now on each combine for the 3rd time, I am suspect there is a bigger issue, possibly operator/ conditions related. I closely inspected both machines this evening and don't see anything obvious. Everthing seems to work freely once its unplugged. we have also been pretty diligent about keeping the starch buildup cleaned. The last break today was on a new belt with only about 15 hours of use. One thing to note is the belt failure is more of a clean break and not a fray, as if its coming off the pulleys or something is abruptly stopping. We have tried running various belt tension and it seems to make no difference.

We have run STS combines for almost 10 years now and I have NEVER had this problem. We have done about a 1000 acres more of hi moisture than we typically do this year due to the local feed economy.

ANY insight into this problem would really be appreciated!!:confused:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I don't run a green combine myself, but wondering if starch goop isn't building up between parts hidden somewhere that isn't easy to clean? The only real high moisture stuff I run through ours in a year is when we open up for doing silage so we don't have run down corn with the 2 row pull type chopper but I know how that starch stuff gets all over the place.

Only other thing is overloading, HMC is harder to move though the machine I don't try and push ours hard when doing 26%+ corn.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Typically the moisture is running between 28-33%. At idle the system appears to run smoothly. However at high rpm there seems to be a jump in the belt, possibly coming from hi inertia shoe drive pulley or conveyor auger pulley. I was kinda hoping this was more of a common problem that had an easy fix. Just odd both combines are having issues at the same time.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Spudman, there must be a problem as in the past we have run corn that wet in that area of the country with both Deere walker machines and STS's and never had that problem. Sorry I'm not able to help other than I don't think its starch build up, 33% is getting up there where you will start getting buildup on the screens and I never really liked doing corn that wet. However up to 31% I've never had an issue with.

Are you doing straight HM or are you doing cobbage?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
We've had problems this week with feed accelerator belts snapping on our 9860. (The 9870 is fine.) We've had FA plugs before that caused the belts to slip and burn. After 3 or 4 plugs, the belt burns right through, but these have been snapping with no previous FA plugs. And when we go to unplug the FA and replace the belt, there is very little material in the FA. Maybe Deere has a bad batch of belts? Checked with the dealer and parts/service haven't heard of anything.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Does that combine have rethrashers? Thought I read that somewhere. On New Holland your supposed to replace the rethrasher covers with smooth covers for corn, they might be plugging up and overloading the belt?

Just a thought, problems like that can drive you nuts eh? Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had identical problem with belt break on S670 and not out of condition crop. The dealer sold me the same belt as replacement. Later on I questioned the service manager if this was a big problem because my S670 is underpowered and wondered how the S680s/S690s would ever run any length of time on this belt. He then told me of the new belt that was available (Part Number: HXE82335) and sent one home with me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had the same problem with my 9770 and my s680 in high moisture corn... The 9770 was going through a belt a day for almost a week.. I had the tech out every day checking pulleys chain etc.... I finally got up in the tank and found my auger had some wear not much but enough to see.. Replaced auger and problem solved.. I have one and a half seasons with the same belt. I combine anywhere from a low of 28 percent to a high of 40...

On my S680 I found the belt adjustment need to be a little in the loose side.. Pulley gets warm but no broken belts... Hope this helps

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.