The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a valley pivot that is getting small holes in the pipe. Nothing wrong with the machine otherwise. Anyone ever repipe one ? Or come up with a another solution.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Here is a lot of farmers that buys there pivots new with a PVC pipe that runs on top of the pivot pipe., but is also a fix for old pivots that is still useable...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting idea. Seems like alot of added weight but might not be enought to matter. Thanks for the idea

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
I thought all Valleys were galvanized, we have some fifty year old Valleys that are in great shape pipe wise. How big is your pivot?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is galvanized, its not real big, about. 1200 ft with a corner. Its about 30 years old ,mechanically sound except for the pipe. When it was new we ran liquid fert through it periodically . I think thats what got it.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Nothing lasts forever, even galvanized pipe.

I have a neighbor who is considering repiping an old T-L. The thing is, the quote he got was very close to that of a new pivot, minus the tires and gearboxes. I've seen sprinklers in Western Kansas that had PVC hanging under them to handle corrosive water, but I wouldn't be too keen on adding that that much weight to an old rusty machine. Pinholes means a lot of the structural integrity of the pipe is already gone.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Rust is the least of our problems here with galvanized units. Been thinking of putting a bunch of fertilizer through them, seems like a good way to do it. Gearboxes and motors are the biggest problem on our older units.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cost is the main factor. Though i have no idea what it would cost to by the pipe and replace it. We would do it ourselves. Not interested in bying a new machine because we are looking at retirement in a few years and not to interested in spending the big money on a new one. Just trying to "get by" for a few years.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have seen a couple of older pivots around here rejuvenated by under slinging a new PVC pipeline under the old pipe and fitting the droppers etc to it.
If the old pipe is still structurally sound seems to give quite a few more years service without great cost

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re-piping a machine ends up being close to the cost of a new machine, as you have a tear down and build price, for double erection cost. I would recommend okpanhandle's idea of underslinging PVC to the machine. Just because the pipe is worn doesn't mean the support structure is worn. I am a Regional Manager for Pierce and live in south central Kansas and see the underslung PVC west of here on a lot of systems. If you want more help or info I would be glad to help you out to keep you running, because buying a new machine is not always the answer.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Whoa now, I wasn't necessarily recommending underslung pipe, just saying I've seen it done. I've seen a lot of old rusty pivots (of every brand) collapse and it doesn't take a lot of extra stress to bring one down. The truss structure might be good, but it's all tied to the pipe. The system is only as strong as the weakest point. If there are pinholes in the pipe, that pipe needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own my own pivot company doing repairs and new towing etc what ive come up with is you can cut pvc in half put silicone on it and clamp it to the pipe let it dry and problem solved or you can run pvc under the whole pivot system and run water through there instead of through the pipe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts