The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are not yet done with harvest but I have a question for y'all. We ran 2 machines this year 9500;7720 and it was a big job keeping this going efficiently. My question is this;what machine should we be looking at to replace the two? We do about 2500 acres of cereal beans and corn. Thanks for input;Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last year we had a 9610 w/ 930 table and a 7720 with a 920 head. A little less than 2,000 acres, but this year we traded both for a 9760 w/ a 630 head. Much more productivity. In good conditions, we ran 5 mph plus in beans and 6 in corn with a 8 row head. we were covering anywhere from 10 to 15 acres per hour. And less downtime. Makes logistics easier too.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
klocken; sounds like you made a good move to the bigger 'bine, we need a much lower priced solution. Alot of the acres are custom jobs and are not real large 50-100 acres. We would need to probably be in the price range of 9600. As far as other brands I might consider CIH or NH but Lexion dealer is too far away>150mi. although a 470 or 480 would be interesting??

·
Registered
886 Posts
6 mph would be something like 12 to 13 kmh if I have my conversion right.

Thats friggin' hooning! we don't even go that fast in the sorghum/wheat!.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Depends where you're at Muddy, 3500ac in my country is crowding it, we just don't get the hours to reliablely finish with much more than that.
I can't think of a single 2500ac+ farmer in this area who doesn't run 2 machines.
Well one.

Don

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have to take into account that we are doing 6-700 acres of cereal,wheat barley etc. so that starts in mid July so its a wide window there. The fall crops is where the bottleneck comes; just not getting enough thru per day. Will a 9600/10 handle a 12 row c.h.? Our corn yields can be 120-180bu. would it handle 35' flex ? cutting soybean @ 40-50bu.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Harsh; you are right that 6+mph in corn ups the header loss. I don't know by how much but the head is running so fast that you lose ears firing off the snouts and auger but there is a need to maintain enough crop volume for the 'bine to thresh properly. With consistently lower yields or bigger 'bines the only solution:bigger heads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
5.5 to 6 mph in standing corn is no problem. We have an older 893 head. After we totally removed the rubber paddles from the auger we have had virtually no loss at the head. Note, we have been running in corn from 15.5 on up and mostly in the 17 to 18% range. So it's not shelling at the head. Also, we've had 150 bpa to 180 bpa max. That's excellent for our dirt, but if we had corn like central IL and IA, we would probably have to run slower.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This fall we ran 2 9600 combines with 2002 JD 12-row corn heads in down corn with no problem. Could only run about 3 to 3.5 mph but the machines seemed to handle the corn well. Both of them have BullyDog boxes on them so they are turned up some but not much.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
J.R. what sort of yield was this corn doing? same ? as nar any problems lifting that head? I guess that would be a 93 series c.h. Any weights on the back? fluid in tires?

·
Registered
322 Posts
johnroberts-What year 9600s? Rear wheel assist or wheel weights/liquid? I would like to run a 12 row head on mine but the manual makes it sound like I shouldn't due to rear end weight. I'm running a 6 row now and like stated above it takes speed to keep it full and I would rather run slower. Any problems lifting it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
any newer combine should be able to pull off 2500 acres. we pull off 14000 of canola, wheat, oats barley corn sunflower and beans with two combines

1 - 20 of 22 Posts