The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an IH 1800 loadstar with a 20' bed that is slow to lift and the pump is leaking bad. The old pump is seperate from the reservoir and has no tags or ID on it. It has one line coming from the reservoir and one running to the twin 3 stage cylinders. What's a good replacement make and model?

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Whatever size or make, be sure to get either a gear or piston pump, gear is the most economical and common for that application. A vane pump will work, but they require a lot more power to create pressure. Doesn't need to be a big high capacity, you don't need your box moving at a high rate of speed, that jsut creates its own set of issues IMO.

Any gear pump with the ability to create @2500 psi and ten GPM would be more than sufficient IMO. Any general industrial supply store or hydraulic shop can set you up I would think, the ones around these parts can;)

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
If you know the brand of hoist, that might help if there was a common match with a certain pump style and pressure rating as topping out those cylinders with a pump rated for a higher pressure then the cylinders are rated for ... bad news. Lets just say I had that happen on what is supposed to be a matched assembly due to a cylinder issue and down comes the box and I was so lucky as the box was empty. The easiest would be to try and match up what you have, lets say its a gear pump and with the same mounts, same drive shaft diameter and similar gallon rating with pressure relief set the same and same port sizes and location, also same rotation direction. Do that rather then reinvent the wheel and cause yourself grief by mounting something totally different.

Not that this may help a lot but it has some interesting points to skim through

http://www.munciepower.com/clientuploads/directory/Resources/TR/TR-G93-01.pdf

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine has two 1" diameter input shafts and I'm assuming that ones clockwise and the other is counterclockwise. Where the hoses come in and out looks to maybe be the relief valve, but its attached to the pump.

·
Registered
516 Posts
How far are you from a good hydraulic shop? If I'm in that situation I remove the pump, take it in and see what their opinion is. If it can be fixed I fix it as long as it's been doing the job. If it can't be fixed they can help you with a replacement or recommend what you should do. Mounting a different pump or pump reservoir combo can be a pain.

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Mine has two 1" diameter input shafts and I'm assuming that ones clockwise and the other is counterclockwise. Where the hoses come in and out looks to maybe be the relief valve, but its attached to the pump.
K, I was picturing a different set up. What you most likely have there is a very common pump/valve combo used most often on gravel trucks. IT is a high flow system designed for front mounted large diameter telescopic hoists. The giveaway is the dual drive shafts on the pump and the valve being part and parcel with the pump. This is so you simply mount the pump where convenient and drive it on which ever shaft turns it the right direction. Not sure what one is worth new, but a phone call to your local shop will tell you that. A cheaper alternative would be to hit up the wreckers or even a dirt/gravel trucking outfit. Most likely, you can buy a new one for what it costs to repair the old one, as anyone I know always gets a new one when those style are done. But often that has to do with down time as well.

If you do go to another style, you will need a control valve and relief valve set up also, so most probably your cheapest route will be a new pump same as original IMO;)

FYI...nothing kills those pumps faster than leaving them in gear when driving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.