The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any farm owners have replaced their automatic Eaton transmission with a standard transmission. I want to keep the semi because the previous owner put 28000 into the cummins engine and rebuilt the brakes , all the air bags and so on. I bought it because it was a pre emission truck in mint shape. I was not a big fan of the auto shift. The previous owner also rebuilt the transmission at 4500. I have thought of selling the truck but you guys know buying a used highway tractor can be a buyer beware. The auto works okay but I tell my guys, is it takes patients to operate it and dont lock it up! I had a vague quote to change it to a standard for 6500 . My plan is to use it the way it is now until the auto acts up. Honestly the autoshift is not great for soft roads and I am seriously exploring this option if possible.
Has any body changed there transmission over. Also is it possible to change it over to a 9,13 or 18 speed. ? Any ideas

·
Registered
661 Posts
What is wrong with it on soft roads. If it’s a Eaton it should be able to be programmed to start in different gear and there’s different levels of programming for weight and use in the auto shifts. My older guys love the auto shift and young guys hate it. But honestly truck with auto shift does everything the others do without ever missing a shift or grinding a gear. Only time we have had trouble is if guy drives into deep snow you can’t rock it but it’s actually better on ice for not spinning tires once your used to it.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I would be surprised it would only cost that. You would have to flash the engine ecm and a chassis ecm to get rid of the auto software as well.
Definitely can be done just one of those things where the little things add up.

·
Registered
526 Posts
What is wrong with it on soft roads. If it’s a Eaton it should be able to be programmed to start in different gear and there’s different levels of programming for weight and use in the auto shifts. My older guys love the auto shift and young guys hate it. But honestly truck with auto shift does everything the others do without ever missing a shift or grinding a gear. Only time we have had trouble is if guy drives into deep snow you can’t rock it but it’s actually better on ice for not spinning tires once your used to it.
Same here with the volvo auto. Old guys love it young guys think it's no good. Takes a bit getting used to.

Those boys can't shift for **** anyways dunno why they're so hot for stick.

Personally I would run it till the tranny quits and then assess. As mentioned maybe getting the trans reprogrammed might help when she's soft out. Half the time the computer is going to be a better driver than you anyways, even if it feels wrong.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
We had a meritor with an auto shift we converted to manual. Best thing for the truck. It was a three pedal truck so all we had to do was swap transmissions and get the correct length of driveshaft made up. The transmission had all the computer stuff on it so no computer flash needed.
$6500 would be on the low end if your getting it done in a shop. Your likely gonna want to do the clutch/flywheel/ rear seal while your in there.
We did ours when the clutch needed replacing so the transmission was out already

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I drove an ultrashift a while back and at first I thought it was pretty slow as it shifted up through the gears pulling a load. But actually it was just as fast at accelerating as anyone could do with a manual. I think when you're the one running the stick you feel more in control and thus it feels like you're moving faster, but that's just an illusion on both counts. And of course you can program the transmissions to shift and accelerate differently for your needs. I was super impressed with the ultra shift (was a 2017 model), especially after reading people here and in other forums panning it. Had one issue when I got stuck on ice on flat ground. It was hard to rock it. But I don't think the manual would have got out of that without sand under the wheels in that particular situation.

I'm not sure how the recent autoshifts (do they still make them?) compare to the recent ultrashifts. But if they are good, I am half interested in swapping my 18-speed for an 18-speed autoshift. I don't drive enough to get really good at shifting. I'd rather focus on the task of driving safely. Would love to try a 10-speed allison pulling a B train some day to see what it could do.

Oat King, what do you mean by telling them to "not lock it up?"

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
From a couple guys I’ve talked to the newer auto shifts are a lot better then the first generation ones. One guy was telling me it wouldn’t shift down soon enough pulling loaded b trains through the quapelle valley then would drop 4 gears and once and the whole truck would jerk and buck. The same guy said the newer ones have better programming and it wouldn’t do that and was a lot nicer to drive.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I drove an ultrashift a while back and at first I thought it was pretty slow as it shifted up through the gears pulling a load. But actually it was just as fast at accelerating as anyone could do with a manual. I think when you're the one running the stick you feel more in control and thus it feels like you're moving faster, but that's just an illusion on both counts. And of course you can program the transmissions to shift and accelerate differently for your needs. I was super impressed with the ultra shift (was a 2017 model), especially after reading people here and in other forums panning it. Had one issue when I got stuck on ice on flat ground. It was hard to rock it. But I don't think the manual would have got out of that without sand under the wheels in that particular situation.

I'm not sure how the recent autoshifts (do they still make them?) compare to the recent ultrashifts. But if they are good, I am half interested in swapping my 18-speed for an 18-speed autoshift. I don't drive enough to get really good at shifting. I'd rather focus on the task of driving safely. Would love to try a 10-speed allison pulling a B train some day to see what it could do.

Oat King, what do you mean by telling them to "not lock it up?"
[T/QUOTE]
The guys say it locks up if the engine is accidently shut off while in gear. I know on soft roads or with a heavy load the shifter fails to up shift in auto mode. But under manual mode it works fine. Under auto mode its feels un easy to always push the pedal over 1600 sometimes to 1800 rpm to make a shift. Must be some kind of setting adjustment right. Its a great truck for the wife and kids to drive and they seem to do ok with it. What kind of long term use are guys getting with there autoshift without major repairs. Even on the highway starting off from a intersection it will fail to upshift sometimes. Its the sometimes that bugs me and would like to figure why .

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I think the money would be better spent to just make the engine produce about 650 HP and call it a day. Why not touch the manual mode button and just shift it with your thumb if you don’t like the gear it chooses. You can also drastically influence the shift points with throttle movements.

Gotta hate them when they quit shifting though. Often those problems are related to poor servo grounds under the floor or on the firewall.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Don't see your message, Oat King. When you say locked it up does that mean getting it stuck between gears?

As for shifting, on the Ultrashift you could "nudge" the transmission up or down a gear with lever on the steering column while still in full automatic mode if you don't feel it got it quite right, or if you wanted to get ahead of the transmission coming up to a hill or something. After conditions allow, it resumes shifting to whatever gear it thinks works best. I thought that worked pretty well the one time I felt to do do that. After driving that transmission and talking to the dealer, I definitely think that having them tune the transmission to one's needs and driving style is a great idea. The truck I drove shifted a bit too early for my taste--I think it was set to favor economy. That can be tuned. Not sure what tuning is available in the older Autoshifts, but some I'm sure.

Could a recent generation autoshift be installed for $10k? Tranny, control modules, new clutch, engine reprogram? If I did anything I'd lean towards autoshift since the truck already has 3 pedals.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't see your message, Oat King. When you say locked it up does that mean getting it stuck between gears?

As for shifting, on the Ultrashift you could "nudge" the transmission up or down a gear with lever on the steering column while still in full automatic mode if you don't feel it got it quite right, or if you wanted to get ahead of the transmission coming up to a hill or something. After conditions allow, it resumes shifting to whatever gear it thinks works best. I thought that worked pretty well the one time I felt to do do that. After driving that transmission and talking to the dealer, I definitely think that having them tune the transmission to one's needs and driving style is a great idea. The truck I drove shifted a bit too early for my taste--I think it was set to favor economy. That can be tuned. Not sure what tuning is available in the older Autoshifts, but some I'm sure.

Could a recent generation autoshift be installed for $10k? Tranny, control modules, new clutch, engine reprogram? If I did anything I'd lean towards autoshift since the truck already has 3 pedals.
Torriem what I meant to say was when the guys accidently shut the engine off in gear I have a hard time restarting it. Haystack your right about the grounds, I have heard that and had the system checked but still cant figure out why it randomly wont shift sometimes. Truck is not lacking power at a rated 525HP. I will look into tuning the unit.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Torriem, I was wondering the same thing as to where the message was from Oat King on his post number 8 and for some reason his writings got included within the quote that he included of your prior post rather then outside of it. I've noticed this happen before and not sure why that can happen. Anyway at the bottom of post 8 go to the bottom where it says "click to expand" to see what he had written.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Our Ishifts are great, 12 speeds with a creeper gear. 3 modes for different shift patterns, hill assist for when starting out uphill. Can easily creep it forward and back when loading etc. What a joy to drive on short hauls and through the city.
Would also love to try the new 10 spd Allison in front of super B’s.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If an Ishift, Ultrashift and Autoshift were matched against theTC10 Allison climbing the Lumsden hill the Allison would be way ahead. Although the Allison is a 10 speed it has more than ten ratios because the torque converter provides a 1:75 reduction so the actual ratios of the low gear are quite fast and the high gears are close together.

Climbing hills the Allison allows the turbo to stay spooled up that's why trucks climbing hills with the Allison will be way ahead. The same applies with coming out of the hole, turbo stays spooled till cruising speed is reached.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
But doesn't the torque converter lock up after the first gear usually? If it was allowed to slip for every gear that would be a lot of heat to dissipate.

This wouldn't be applicable to large hp trucks, but there are cars (and this was more common a long time ago) that had manuals and a torque converter. Kind of like my old four wheeler. Drive, let of the gas, manually shift, then hit the pedal again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Our Ishifts are great, 12 speeds with a creeper gear. 3 modes for different shift patterns, hill assist for when starting out uphill. Can easily creep it forward and back when loading etc. What a joy to drive on short hauls and through the city.
Would also love to try the new 10 spd Allison in front of super B’s.
Bjtjjl, unfortunately Allison has already dropped the new TC10 from production.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Sad. Reliability issues? Or were they sunk by their silly exclusive deal with Navistar? Allison's website still talks about the TC10 as if it were in current production.

·
Registered
398 Posts
We have a couple eaten auto shifts and a new ultra shift. Haven’t had any issues with them that I couldn’t fix. Was just doing some maintenance and remembered to take a pic of this for this thread. Doesn’t hurt to check for codes once and awhile, maybe something isn’t quite right with yours? When i find the calibration stuff ill try and post it here too.

I know someone with an 18 speed looking for an auto shift for a water truck they are building. If you want his info let me know.

Either way here the pic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts