The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am hoping you guys could help me out with a tough spot I am in with one of my quarters. I farm in the Regina heavy clay.
This is a new quarter I am farming this year, I knew the kochia/weed pressure was going to be high so I applied Edge last fall. This spring I seeded L233P canola treated with lumiderm into decent moisture. I applied 130-55-0-35 for fertilizer. Germination looked good until we ran into frost. Even though the seedlings were under the soil we had a lot of plants nipped off at the stem. I am talking 80% of plants. We decided to give it some time to try to regrow, in the meantime had various agronomists and reps out to have a look. We have heard everything from mice, to frost to cutworms. In the last 3 weeks we hadn't found one single cutworm until finally today I found one. The field has definitely been showing more signs of damage the last few days and with the plants being cut at ground level we have really started leaning on the damage being due to cutworms, at this point we are convinced we need to reseed. There is massive areas in the field with 0 living plants, even with everyone telling us they haven't seen a field get completely taken by cutworms when the canola was treated with lumiderm it appears that is what has happened.

Anyways, onto my question:
Obviously now that we are into June I am antsy to get out there and get this reseeded. I have 1.5 inches of dry topsoil but decent moisture under that, a 10 day forecast with 0 rain, and also the edge herbicide to think about.
I guess my options would be to reseed canola and hope for rain? Or, seed a pulse? I would like to seed small green lentils but I am not sure what they will do with 130 lbs of actual N applied. I was thinking maybe a Pea would be the best? I could seed them deep and they would likely be the quickest maturing, just not sure how that much N will effect them either.
Other options would be Barley, I don't think I can seed them into Edge ground. Flax, I hate flax! I also dont think we could seed them deep enough.

Any thoughts or experiences? Thank you guys in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to leave it... We are leaving the rest of our canola that averages about 2 plants per square foot from frost. This field I would guess averages more like .1 plants per square foot! We just drove and walked it again today, there is areas 100 ft by 100 ft with not a single plant....

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Could go in with Dekalb 7545. That stuff is easily a week ahead of anything else we grow.
Sure can’t sit it in dry dirt now though, ideally at this stage in the game your setting it 1/4-1/2” deep and it’s up in 4 days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you have other 233 canola fields that are still in good condition then I would not seed it back to generic canola. I would seed it to specialty cargill/nexera canola and hope for the best. This way you transfer all your late crop risk to crop insurance as IP canola is a different crop. If your generic canola yields above your crop insurance minimum yield then any potential loss of your late canola won’t be your problem.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Not sure I like the hemp market this yr, but you would have all month to seed it ahead of a rain(if there is one) and still have decent yield prospects - Ie leave the canola to see how scabby it really is, but if there an imminent rain have your hemp seed ready and spray out what canola there is. Guess if you can spray out canola maybe even yellow mustard an option. Doing nothing is option that always got you a point in school test and may still be worth something - depending on your insurance of course.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Ive got the same problem except its emergence from too dry. No rain in 3 months. Not enough moisture to sustain the seedlings so I now have a couple plants per square yard and ansy to seed something into it next week now that the forecast is kaput. Just like you the top layer is dry but subsoil below is decent. Something into that zone could make it. Wouldn't try canola again, going to be too late.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Put in feed barley, read somewhere that there 13 million acres of corn not going to be seeded in the US. Feed grains should be good...if we can grow it

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Not sure I like the hemp market this yr, but you would have all month to seed it ahead of a rain(if there is one) and still have decent yield prospects - Ie leave the canola to see how scabby it really is, but if there an imminent rain have your hemp seed ready and spray out what canola there is. Guess if you can spray out canola maybe even yellow mustard an option. Doing nothing is option that always got you a point in school test and may still be worth something - depending on your insurance of course.
You ain’t growing Mustard we’re theres a chance a Canola seed could catch with a rain. The buyer would reject the load.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From this thread and just talking to some other people it seems like peas or barley are the best options... I guess it comes down to what is less risky, seeding peas into 130 lbs of N, or seeding barley into ground treated with edge last fall... hmmm just not an easy decision! I take it peas would be less risky on 130lbs of N then small green lentils?

·
Registered
863 Posts
I think just leave it you're likely not going to get any crop growing there any better. Bad situation but doing anything else makes it worse. This drought sucks.

·
Registered
975 Posts
If you don’t seed it, it will rain and vise versa.
For everyone else’s sake PLEASE don’t seed it.
Thx!! Lmao

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Barley is risky since Edge is classified as suppression of volunteer barley. Most years Edge does a good job of controlling it, this year with 20lbs/ac of Edge spring applied I have lots of volunteer barley in the places where the standing crop last year was snowed on and combined in October. So an abnormally high amount of grain on the ground to volunteer. But not enough rain for the Edge to start working likely the main reason.
Peas would be a good option. The reason for not putting lots of N down for peas is you are wasting N. If it's already in the ground and and alternative is chem fallow then you really aren't wasting it. Me personally, I am not reseeding anything. If I get rain I will see what comes out of the ground, if it doesn't rain then we already know what was the right plan.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I would seed it to peas personally. peas and canola do very well together. I am sure by now you have done something though. What choice did you make?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I would seed it to peas personally. peas and canola do very well together. I am sure by now you have done something though. What choice did you make?
Its Invigour canola so he wouldn't get a chance to spray it again later on if the stand is thin and gets weedy. You just know the first good rain we get those weeds are going to jump.

Good thing its 233 because he can leave that stand a long time for whatever else is growing to catch up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I seeded peas 1 year into a field that had 2 passes of fall applied nh3 at 80 lb/ac. I was so worried that those 2 passes would be to rich, would stay green, and lodge terribly. In the end, I never could pick those 2 passes out all year. There was no difference from the other peas.

Peas would be easy because the edge is down, and inoculant wouldn’t be required. You likely shouldn’t need to treat either at this time of year if it’s good seed.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Its Invigour canola so he wouldn't get a chance to spray it again later on if the stand is thin and gets weedy. You just know the first good rain we get those weeds are going to jump.

Good thing its 233 because he can leave that stand a long time for whatever else is growing to catch up.
It’s june 8, get the peas in. Like I said if there are weeds now spray liberty first. If it rains crop will be ahead of weeds. Should work good, if it rains.

·
Registered
370 Posts
In 2002 we had canola on fallow. Dry as heck and canola only grew in draws. I reseeded mine to barley, dad left his. Got 1/4” late July and everything grew crazy on that little moisture. Ended up we baled it all and canola bales outyielded the barley. Feed is in short supply these days.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts