The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been starting to think about retirement, although it wont be for another 20 years or so, but need to get things figured out somewhat.

I am curious as to what other people are planning or have done when they retired.
I know a lot of people look at heading down south for winters or doing a lot of vacationing. Right now we like to try and take a trip once a year whether it be somewhere warm or a ski holiday but by the time 7 to 10 days comes around I am antsy and want to get back home. So I dont know that I am the type of person to head south for the winter a week long trip or two sure, but all winter not likely. But I am curious how many people feel that they have changed from enjoying being around the farm and tinkering to being tired of it and just wanting to be down south or elsewhere for the winter months.

The whole, what are we going to do in retirement, which affects plans now to some degree is hard for me to get my head wrapped around because I can not image not working in some fashion simply so that I am not bored, But I do realize we change as we age and I guess I am most curious in what people have seen for changes in themselves as they age.

Just curious on others thoughts and mindset regarding retirement.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Freedom 85 for me!! lol I don't know if I actually see myself retiring or wanting to retire. I'm 40 now so things could change. Have little desire to travel, have a bit and it was ok, but not something I could do for months on end. I prefer camping and doing stuff around home. Don't see much sense traveling the world when there is a pile of places just out my back door that I have yet to explore. I don't think anyone in my family who has farmed has ever retired. Pretty much farm until we die! Find it funny how many people I know retired, then within a year had a part time job, got bored fairly quick. I think farmers and highly energetic people have a hard time idling down, is quite a change of lifestyle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
With 20 years to go, I'm assuming you're in your 40's. I am 57, and can tell you I don't enjoy doing some things near as much as I did at 40. Planning for retirement and setting an age to do it is a good idea. I have not. I can tell you, the hardest thing to do in life is change, and the easiest is to keep doing the same thing. I believe that's why you see alot of farmers going too long, some until they die. Farming is all they know and it's too **** hard (and scary) to quit.

·
Super Moderator
2,603 Posts
I am semi retired, forced a bit early by my health and the passing of Jayne.
I kept my combine and header and harvest with the people (two different groups) that rent my land.
Having at least that much involvement helps keep me in the loop on cropping practices and technical developments.

I’ll hit the trough in May and decide year to year if I’ll contiue but I enjoy working with the energetic and very progressive thirty somethings, it reminds me of me 30 years ago and they seem to appreciate the harvest assistance.

Doubt many have picked my route, I elected to be more than just a warm body at harvest.

I’m not a big fan of being away from home for extended periods like others, always seems whenever I do when I get home from more than a few days away I realize there’s no place like home.

I don’t care about winter, the thermostat is at 21, same as summer.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,682 Posts
Hopefully some of my kids will continue on the business I have started now and then I can bludge off it and travel to the US and CAN to meet some of you off here........

As long as there still making steak, cheesecake and whiskey in 25 yrs I’ll be happy........

Don’t have land. Might inherit something, but I doubt it. I did a runner long ago.

Have some money slowly growing in Super funds, from my employer’s over the last 20 yrs.

I will worry about it when the time comes.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Im taking a different tack as most people i know at 65 a stuffed physically. So my retirement starts end of this year when i quit the mine, i will still work and have farm but a big focus will be living how i want to live and enjoying life and the world while i can, i dont want to budget on getting to 65 to see the planet or go do something...i am 40. Once 50 hits i will work casual, i dont need millions of dollars or some dynstay to my name, i got through divorce financials alot quicker than i thought and have set myself well now...i work nearly every day of the year to do this. Going to bavaria again in august. I will do some work with my friends in phillipinnes, helping them get ahead in life and have some sort of a future...i like seeing them rise.

Ant...

·
Registered
489 Posts
We all have different plans..Just remember life is shorter than anyone thinks..You only live once..Don't be on your death bed wishing you had retired...
Some quit early and get a 2nd job...work when they want..Some see the world..No rules..Its your life..Don't look at what your neighbor did..
We have a game plan, but all depends on health, and If the wife wants to continue to..Some guys don't give a **** about there wives, if they like it here or wish to be some place else ..

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
and If the wife wants to continue to..Some guys don't give a **** about there wives, if they like it here or wish to be some place else ..
If/when we retire, my wife will want to be somewhere perpetually warm, with an ocean nearby. Whereas those are two things that I am much happier without, so I may not enjoy retirement very much...

I'm planning to not overstay my welcome, if kid or kids are motivated to take over, will gracefully step aside and find a way to make that work. Have plan B,C,D etc. to fall back on, including education, so can probably retire early and go pursue a different career if so motivated.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Plan to stay around the farm for as long as possible. We travel during the year and I enjoyed being home the most. Trapping in the winter keeps a guy busy. Stay fit and active, muscle mass is the currency of life.

Edit to add: I am more reclusive than most.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
One thing that bothers me is watching people go through life working at a job they absolutely hate, just because of the pension and benefits. Miss out on life, never really enjoy much and miss out on family time, only to die a month after they retire. Live life to the fullest and you have no need to really retire in the traditional sense.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
You never know when your last day is, have fun, and do what makes you happy and puts food on the table. Some guys will work till they are 90, right now I would be content to retire when my kids are able to take over. Help them at seeding and harvest!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Watched my father in law get cancer last summer, 6 months later gone. Not a symptom before that. Life can throw you a curve pretty quick.

Turning 50 this yr and going to start rejigging the assets a bit, run a few acres for cash flow and keep the kids going. None are going to farm, but try to start spending part of Jan-feb someplace warmer. Cant take those couple months anymore. Summers travel Canada between spraying and the lentils.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
Well if at all possible I'll die with my boots on and hopefully they'll be full of cowshit too, but dam I want it during the daylight, and it better be sunny too lol.

I really don't consider what I do work, it is what I love and it is the structure of my life. And maybe I did a better job of picking a Mrs than some, as no issue of compatibility with that either, so no problems that way at all to just carry on as long as the good Lord is willing.

Have def been making some changes so things will be easier when the time comes one can't do things normally anymore. I've always had the work smarter not harder philosophy, but I've seen so many older friends and others somewhat struggle with tasks that could have been done a lot easier.
I've dealt with a lot of lower back issues all my life, so perhaps that is why I have always sought out ways to make some things easier. I used to be able to force the body to do things, that today when its hurting, I just simply can't anymore, so now more than ever its becoming more of a necessity and things only gonna get worse.

Too soon old, too late smart...so don't waste your life doing something you don't really enjoy anyway would be my advice.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I don't really like the word retired. I watch my Dad, who thankfully is still with us, he'll be 80 this Feb. He runs a combine very little now. This summer he cut, bailed, and hauled about 135 hay bails on his own. He started cleaning up his junk this fall went pretty hard, helping the young guy load about 200 tonne, mostly making sure he didn't send anything he didn't want to see go. Making more than enough money for Mom and his 2 months in NZ this winter. He wouldn't say he's retired, goes to his shop everyday, does what he wants. I'm doing what I want as most are.

I also agree if you don't like what you're doing don't wait. Do something you like if you can. You won't regret taking a few risks. Don't give your body what it doesn't need (easy to say).

I plan on doing what I want till I can't do it. Than I'll do something I can do. Work hard play hard. We're built to work but the work changes.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Interesting, many of the comments are also what I have been feeling. I do enjoy generally what I do with farming and some interesting side businesses/hobbies. Was just curious how much peoples ideas changed over time, because as I plan for later in life I have been trying to make a decision that I need to make now, and that is do I build a nice shop on the farm or forget it and save the money for a place down south or for extra travel. At present I am not a big travel fan like I said once or twice a year for a week is okay to break up winter but it doesn't matter to me all that much if I go, but I do like to build my own stuff and play and don't really have a shop for doing that right now but a shop is going to set me back probably $300,000 which is no small amount of money.

The reason I ask is the people I see around here seem to fall into two categories, the people that like traveling want to be down south or going all winter, and those that like to play in the shop and tinker seem to enjoy doing that even as they get older, however, I have seen in a few cases where farmers that basically did no traveling (and they did have the time) hit retirement and now enjoy spending their entire winter down south even though they never did it prior to retirement.

I know there is no way to no if I am going to wake up one day and feel completely different, but was just interested in how others are looking at retirement or how their views changed as they aged.
good feedback thanks.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts