The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever seen another brand of strawchopper retro fit to a 1480 or other axial flow combine? Our internal choppers and spreaders work well, but there seems to be alot of dust around the back end of the machine when harvesting that get sucked into the radiators and we are cleaning them out constantly. A rear mounted chopper would suck this dust in and blow it out the back. I know redekop makes a chopper but if we could make a mount and fit one ourselves that we pick up at a wrecker, that would be much cheaper, and we don't need the extra chopping capacity a redekop gives right now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We don't need any extra chopping, the rotor and internal chopper do a great job, we just want a way to spread the straw so that the dust at the rear of the machine is blown away with the straw. We have trouble keeping radiators and airfilters clean.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Have seen some gehl straw storms on the rear of axial flows but i think the internal chopper works better. These straw storms are no good when you need to get into the rear of the machine as they are a bolted on afterthought. If you fit a rear mount you need a system that pivots out of the way to get sieves out easily if need be and for pre-season checks. A mate of mine has an internal chopper with a crary cyclone twin disc hydraulic spreader fitted to the rear and that thing spreads everything. Mind you if the wind's blowing the wrong way you may have issues but that is the conditions you are in - you cannot change crop/harvesting conditions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts