The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I had two disc bearings fail on my P2080 drill, happened at night and probably within a few rounds of eachother. I had bought a couple of spare bearings when I bought the drill 4.5 years ago so I switched them out next morning. Before calling the dealer I phoned the bearing store and they informed me I had a "pretty special" bearing there, and I had better phone the dealer. Now I am not surprised a farm equipment mfr would have something proprietary on their drill, but there are 96 on mine!

It's a double-wide bearing, made in Slovakia, about 25,000 acres on it so far(60' unit). So called for price from the dealer for the bearing.....$39! I honestly expected higher, although $39 isn't free by any stretch. Dealer had some in stock and ordered a complete set which I will change when I do discs this summer.

So credit to New Holland and Mazergroup for not bending me over, both parties have supported this unit very well from day 1. It is the best drill I have owned by a country mile for accuracy and durability.:54:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Have to win once in a while on parts.

Asked the local NH dealer about a demo of their disk drill knowing you like yours and the response I got was a blank look and you could see the squirrel in the cage was asking himself “we have a disk drill”????? :22:

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Asked the local NH dealer about a demo of their disk drill knowing you like yours and the response I got was a blank look and you could see the squirrel in the cage was asking himself “we have a disk drill”????? :22:
I won't say there is a ton of them out, but there are a few blue ones locally. Gonna be dealer specific as to what they push.

Good to here that! I always look forward to reading your post about the disc drill. I want one. 7.5” DS. One day.
7.5" is borderline not heavy enough in hard ground or zero till. This year I put some peas into wheat stubble and headlands were a challenge where dry and hard, interior of field worked great. I need to add some weight to the rear of wings, right now no weight added. Not sure how double shoot would change this?

I have a partial review of my closing wheels, will try to find where that was discussed and update there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see you have a gps receiver on the drill is that for sectional control?
No need for sectional control here on 99% of the acres. The second receiver is for Trueguide which is a Trimble program that steers the tractor to keep the implement on-line. Both receivers are running RTK and I am putting one track of my tramlines down with each seeder pass. Seeder 60', sprayer 120'. Basically eliminates crop damage from late season applications. The disc drill does pull really straight to start with though.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts

Farm world out of humboldt is demoing the disc drill this spring.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I would like to know how fast do you seed at. What’s your engine load. And your tractor slip.
I have 60’ with the 765 case tank we seed at 6.8 mph 2-3% slip and the engine load is at when full 88-95% when about half 72%
I would say this tank is kick a$$. Had to tern down the fan was burning the hoes out My old tank atx 3430 had to run the fan at 6000 this one 5100. A lot more air volume!

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After three years the first set of discs were down to 18.5-18.75" from 20" I believe. They were still working okay and I could have moved the scrapers up to the higher notch, but changing discs was easier. I felt like the scraper was getting unnecessary wear and they are more expensive than discs. Now after two years in drier conditions I probably will do them again because the bearings are being done and it takes a few seconds when out. They aren't as worn as last time. I have some Ingersoll, CNH, and Bourgault discs on here to compare wear, so that will be interesting to see.

As far as hairpinning I really have no reference point so can't give a comparison to other brands. I do know I can not apply the type of down pressure with a 7.5" as the 10" guys can. So a 10" unit would definitely be better.

For power use I am running in worked ground today and tractor is at 50% at 1500RPM going 6mph. I always go 6mph although I could go faster. I do know doing peas quite a bit deeper and running with a full tank of peas and phosphate I had to drop a gear on the steep hills. I suspect it would be around 75% on the flat ground but I never really paid attention. Slip showing around 2% right now but I can't say that is perfectly calibrated, slippage is not high.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I’m getting wore down to that 17 inch ,where the book says to move the scraper up. Ya the scrapers do wear more when the disks get close to that size. I moved a dozen scrapers up that where the disks were wearing faster. That carbide wears a grove in the disk and the scraper is wore just above the carbide looks like it needs a couple hundred acres to burn the scraper in the blade to work good

·
Registered
100 Posts
Since it's raining here (again) in central Ontario I did a search for that bearing. The number looks like 803775?? The base number shows up as a wheel bearing on some european cars but can't say for sure how the seals match. I doubt an automotive supplier would get them much cheaper than $39 but who knows.
Pricing gets really interesting if you google 'alibaba f803775'. If you take 100-999 sets then you pay a whopping $3 each. The catch is that shipping is based on a container load of product but it gives you an idea on mark up between china manufacturer and what we pay.

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh I know they are probably making 2000% margin on these things, but as rip-off parts pricing goes these days I figured it was acceptable. I'm also pleased with the longevity and ease of R&R.

I did have a moment of concern when I saw the ordered bearings say on the box "Made in Brazil". Just opened a couple boxes in the tractor here and the bearings say Slovakia on them though. Not sure if the label maker is geographically challenged or what???

Word to CNH, stick with quality product. If these bearings had been made in China I would not be installing them and they would be returned. Not sure what to think of Brazil had that been true, but changing suppliers smells of cost cutting. Glad to have original quality parts for a reasonable price.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts