The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Are disc drills a rarity up there? Down here hoe drills are endangered.
This depends partly on the area, but generally hoe drills are the default. That's all I used prior to this unit. Some areas the double-shank Seedhawk/Seedmaster are quite popular. Local dealer support will be part of this and general weather, soil, fertilizer type, crops, etc all play factors too.

I do know nobody with a hoe drill put in 650 acres in 20 hours to finish seeding 20 minutes before the rain started....like I just did.:24:

They all can grow good crops, and have advantages/drawbacks. I think if I picked up a second drill it would be a hoe drill, but this one isn't likely going anywhere.

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Attachments

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Site says I don't have permission to blow it up... must be an anti-terrorist thing. Looks like F-503775 on one side and 02M250 on the other? I just replaced the front wheel bearings in the 4440. I took out "Made in the USA" Timkin bearings and replaced them with one Koyo and one NTN right out of the original equipment JD boxes.... both made in Japan. At least they weren't Chinese.

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
Site says I don't have permission to blow it up... must be an anti-terrorist thing. Looks like F-503775 on one side and 02M250 on the other? I just replaced the front wheel bearings in the 4440. I took out "Made in the USA" Timkin bearings and replaced them with one Koyo and one NTN right out of the original equipment JD boxes.... both made in Japan. At least they weren't Chinese.
Yes, highly likely a terrorist group infiltrating this forum, speaking of no fish to fry.
This help?
Through the magic of ipad stretched pic screen shot.
Wow, 9.2 mb pic, highest I’ve ever seen, lot of scratches on SWMans bench!
Just curious if that helps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I can get Japanese Koyo bearings for my 3720 for $15 cdn out of the states for my 3720, so don’t think I’d be too happy with that price tbh

I’d call Jeff at bearings.parts with that pic and just see if he can get you a quote. That just looks like a pretty regular double row bearing that is found in lots of disc drills and planters, but maybe they’ve done something special to jack the price up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think it is F-803775

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
I wonder what those cost?

The koyo ones are the ones we found to last and I think they were 35 us bones. The ones right from honda did not. Dont make sence.
A lady here has 2 crv's for the mail route. Puts on over 200 miles a day on, mostly gravel roads.
Bearing is a nightmare to change with the split in the center, one half of the race comes off pretty nice but the other side stays on flush with no way to grab ahold of it.
Never had one off a seeder like that, so they come off easily?

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
so they come off easily?
>Remove 5/8" bolt that holds gauge wheel on, set to the side.
>Remove 5/8" bolt that holds gauge wheel arm on. The end of this shaft is square where the arm fits on, behind that is this disc bearing on the round part of the shaft. This second bolt holds everything tight on there.
>Slide off the disc/hub/bearing unit. It comes off easily.
>Remove snap ring that holds bearing into hub.
>Drive/press bearing out of hub.
>Then I have been cleaning and lubricating things for install, which almost takes as long as the earlier steps.

I need to get a really good set of snap ring pliers if I am gonna do 93 more of these, my current set is designed for slightly less strenuous work. This drill has been in all sorts of mud and no corrosion on the shaft inside the bearing/gauge wheel arm, must be a good design to keep things clean in there. I feared much worse when the first one went!

Brian that website doesn't seem to behave for me. Says: Oops, this page could not be found.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts