The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone off hand tell me if I can add a feederhouse reverser oil cooler like off of the 50 series to my 1996 9600? Some locals say yes some say no. I havent checked the cases yet to see if theres plugs where I can add fittings to do so. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
778 Posts
It would be possible, but it would be quite costly. The 50 series machines that have the cooler also have the heavy duty reverser gearbox which has an oil pump built into it to circulate the oil. You would need a complete gearbox, the lines, and a cooler. Might be an issue with the backshaft too, and if you switch that to a 50 series your headers would have to be converted to the newer style universal shafts because the newer shaft is splined and would not fit your current chain couplers. I guess you could engineer your own system by drilling holes in the existing reverser gearbox and mouning some kind of external oil pump. I remember hearing about an aftermarket cooler kit available through Geringhoff(?) Not sure if they make it anymore.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I added the cooler on my 9610, got the complete bundle from
Deere. There is a pump that drives off the chain to pump the oil. I
think the cooler helps alot, even for platform work. I can put my hands on my gearbox in the summer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Back on the ??00 and ??10 series they used a sprocket driven pump off the right hand chain and like newibiner said they worked well.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I fugured it could not pump its own oil and I remember my 50 build sheet stating heavy duty feed reverser. Im only asking since I might be putting an 8 row corn head on my 9600 this year and dont want to over stress this gearcase after a rebuild last season. Some have said to change the oil more frequently. I think It needs to be cooled.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Also use a good synthetic oil. I added the cooler because we went to eight row also. But it should have been factory in my opinion. It keeps the sheaves and belt much cooler also.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Maybe I am all wet, but why don't you just use an auto trans cooler (http://www.usa-trailer-hitches.com/transmission_coolers.htm?vcn=google&vcad=2USA_USATrailerHitches_TransmissionCoolers& gclid=CJmu9a2uuIoCFRxOPgodcz7Cug) plumb
it up out of the way of trash, maybe under the cab, use a small 12v diaphrapm pump to circulate the oil, and let gravity dump it back into the gearcase? I imagine the whole thing from deere is going to be a lot of dough, and no easier to put on than this.

·
Registered
289 Posts
davedan, you don't have to have the cooler for an 8 row head. It helps to run synthetic gear oil from Deere and change it when it starts getting black (burned). It also helps to run the variable belt straight. That means drop the idler down and move the top sheaves up to give it the right tension. Than move the idler up just enough to touch the belt. That way you get rid of the tipee shape the belt usually describes, get mor belt rap around the reverser sheaf, run the belt cooler and have more grip. I also recommened synthetic grease in the reverser sheaves, because it is more heat resistant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts