The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 963 IH corn head.

I would like to reverse the stalk roll knives. Got one roll off and it went fine.

Next roll, half the bolts that hold the stalk roll knives to the aluminum shaft will not come out. I've rounded off the heads of two bolts. Went to the next row, same thing.

How do I get the bolts out?

And another thing, why did IH use aluminum instead of steel?

Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Classic problem on 900 heads caused by corrosion of AL with other metals. I had some luck by heating up the Al with a torch and then getting the bolts loose. If the heads are round you may need the good old vise grip pliers on it. Just be careful you don't get it to hot or the heat will conduct back into the gear box.

Why AL. well the original 1440 1460 design was well balanced for a 4 row or 6 row head. When the 1480 came out they just made the machine wider and put in a 30" rotor. The balance was not good for a heavy 8 row head.
IH went crazy with AL. on the head to reduce the weight so that you don't need a ton of weight on the rear axle to balance out an 8 row head. Unfortunately the Al has its own problems

The 2208 head on my 2388 requires weights and liquid in the rear tires in order to make me feel safe. So they never did fix the weight distribution problem until the 7010/8010 which does not need a big stack of weight on the rear end..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts