The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I farm rice in southeast arkansas. we have a 1680 and 1688 axial flow. we have had both since they were brand new and both have been excellent machines. I am upping my acres quite a bit and think its time for a newer machine. I plan on getting rid of the 88 and keeping the 80. my question is which machine does a better job in rice????the 8010 case or the 9760 jd? these are the only two dealers that are close enough for me to bother with. I don't care what color any of my equipment is i just want to know which machine will perform better in down rice and why.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Re: RICE MACHINE DEBATE

Ran 8010 with 9750 not even close 8010 has way more power in down rice not sure how the 50 would compare to the 60

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

We run deere combines and doing rice with an STS is not much fun unless you have a stripper head. So much so, that we have done very little rice since we sold our last 9650 CTS a few years ago.

·
Registered
16 Posts

We too farm in southeast Arkansas, so I have done my fair share of down rice in years past. Thought rice is no longer grown on our farm, several of our neighbors still grow it. Some run 2388's & others run 9760's & 9860's. They all say that the extra power of the 9860 is very noticeable in the wet gumbo. The 2388's always seem to be on the end more than the Deeres, but down rice can them all grief. As you well know, down rice will find the weak spot in any machine. I still favor the Deeres as I feel that they are just built stronger. This is after owning several Deeres & watching the neighbors/friends red machines. Not meant to start a war, just my true opinion.

·
Registered
273 Posts

Rice is very abrasive as well is it not? The videos I have seen look like you're dealing with green straw as well...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

Yes it is very abrasive. Augers wear out real quick, but the hardest thing is winding all the green wet material thru the combine. Takes lots of hp, plus trying to keep afloat and mobile on pretty soft sludge more often than not.

·
Registered
120 Posts

Best way to describe it to northern guys that never done it is imagine 200 Bpa green stem soybeans in about knee deep buckshot mud (very sticky)

·
Registered
504 Posts

Mud isn't really a problem cause we are equipped to handle it and not just glum around in it making a huge mess like the majority of the non rice growing states do. Bundy is right in that its the green wet straw that is hard to deal with. Imagine taking 200+ bu per acre grain thats wet along with the straw which is usually green and wet or down on the ground and in the water... Its not real fun being a rice farmer in those conditions.

I run a Massey rotor machine. We love it and it does a wonderful job in rice both with a stripper or a staight cut head. We run a 25 foot Agco stripper. My dealer is 70+ miles away and its not a problem. They keep a big stock of parts on hand and actually farm with the machines themselves so they know what it takes to keep a machine running.

Between your two choices I'd take the red CIH rotor all day long over the STS. Been there, done that and it wasn't pretty. Owned a 9750STS for 3 years and couldn't wait for it to be gone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

anybody have any trouble out of the jd 9760 sts walking rice out of the back of the machine? we had a 9600 before and it was absolutely horrible in rice. I understand the sts is alot different machine i was just wondering.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

We were flat out getting rice thru the rotor without worrying about it going out the back! However this was about 5 years ago with an 04 model 9760 and before the bullet was released. Friends say the bullets are better, however haven't harvested much rice since.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Sounds just like me and my 9650 STS. But Shhh, keep that quiet, people on here don't like it when you say something bad about a green and yellow machine.

Stick with a red combine, you'll be much happier in the end. Unless you want to become a pro at cussing. STS = Most overhyped POS ever built. Period.

·
Registered
84 Posts

From what I've heard the STS throws quiet a bit of rice out the back due to the tiny screens. I think the Case-IH dealer in Stuttgart has traded for a few Deere machines the last couple of years. I think the 7010 and 8010 are very impressive in rice from what I've heard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts