The Combine Forum banner

201 - 220 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Wow. Biblical rainfall at this point. And snow coming? Go jets go. Since I played defence most of my life and live close to Winnipeg, I may be on the depth chart for them. As such I've began working out. I'm going to run across a field of beans in the rain with my rubber boots twice a day.You never know! They are grabbing defensemen off the streets now!

Such an idilic and interesting way to get some exercise. I found out I’m about as flexible as a 61 year old fence post when I crash my brains out when it’s cool outside and nobody has paid any admission. FFS, I can hardly even save myself when I step on the dogs tail on the stairs anymore without hurting myself.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I think we dodged a bullet here. Got two full days of combining in a row, can't remember the last time that happened this fall. Worked late both nights, and expected to wake up to snow, or at least rain yesterday morning, but surprised there was neither! Was able to get another 25 acres off yesterday but finally had to quit around 1:30 in the afternoon from small flurries and mist. Got some neighbors excited as they drove by then right after seen them go by with their combines! lol It was only testing 12 (canola) so not bad by this years standard. Took off more dry grain in those 2 days than all harvest so far this year. Was kind of pi$$ed as we tried a few fields Monday right at home and was 15 and 13.5, so thought we would move to a field about 6 miles south, first test was 10! Wished we would went there first as we missed a few hours of combining on a year were a few hours are hard to come by. Got it chewed down to a couple hundred acres of canola left, pressure is lifting a little. Just need a couple more days. Good luck to the rest of you, I know many of you are going through a lot tougher conditions than we are.

Found it funny, in a sick kind of way, we were under a heavy snowfall warning for 2 days, not a single flake fell. The minute they ended the warning, it began to snow! Just have a light skiff so far, and hope it stays that way. Glad I put the sprayer in the heated shop yesterday, cold today.

·
Registered
905 Posts
We've gotten 1 day of soybean harvest in this year and usually we are done or almost done. Woke up to 3"-4" of snow on the ground. 50 acres out of 1000 of soybeans done and sunflowers after that. And its Oct 10th already. Fields are muddy, using the diff lock on the combine for the first time. Trucks sit at field entrances. Grain carts can't be loaded full to go across the field. Mother Nature needs to quit. Talking 2-3ft in some eastern parts of the state. Yes I said feet.

Oh and 50% of our wheat was combined with sprouts and low falling numbers. Will be sold on the feed wheat market for what's right now just under $3.00

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I think we dodged a bullet here. Got two full days of combining in a row, can't remember the last time that happened this fall. Worked late both nights, and expected to wake up to snow, or at least rain yesterday morning, but surprised there was neither! Was able to get another 25 acres off yesterday but finally had to quit around 1:30 in the afternoon from small flurries and mist. Got some neighbors excited as they drove by then right after seen them go by with their combines! lol It was only testing 12 (canola) so not bad by this years standard. Took off more dry grain in those 2 days than all harvest so far this year. Was kind of pi$$ed as we tried a few fields Monday right at home and was 15 and 13.5, so thought we would move to a field about 6 miles south, first test was 10! Wished we would went there first as we missed a few hours of combining on a year were a few hours are hard to come by. Got it chewed down to a couple hundred acres of canola left, pressure is lifting a little. Just need a couple more days. Good luck to the rest of you, I know many of you are going through a lot tougher conditions than we are.

Found it funny, in a sick kind of way, we were under a heavy snowfall warning for 2 days, not a single flake fell. The minute they ended the warning, it began to snow! Just have a light skiff so far, and hope it stays that way. Glad I put the sprayer in the heated shop yesterday, cold today.

Ooops, looks like I spoke too soon! I see my area is also now under a winter storm watch.:38: Possibly up to a foot of the white stuff. We were right on the edge of it all day and yesterday. Just got enough moisture to stop us yesterday, went to the elevator this afternoon and some guys were straight cutting canola west of us about 10 miles and was 10.5! We would have been so close to being done if we had missed the little bit of precip yesterday and could have kept going until this evening.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Not sure what scenario I want to play out first. The foot of snow before the 70-100 kph winds or after. Snow might help hold the canola swaths down, but that kind of wind will likely still move it even with snow.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I caught this rare data image at 4:30 in the morning of the jet stream tying itself in a knot. It sounds like the doom that was predicted to hit our area is instead barreling through Dauphin from the north east heading straight for Foxwarren, leaving some four foot snow banks in yards. Time will tell if it can keep wraping around while reversing and hit the westman region yet. We only have about 3-4 inches of level wet snow accumulation from overnight, which has stopped for now.

https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=154601&stc=1&d=1570898634

Attachments

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
As of 4;30 today, we're still under a winter storm warning, been on for 3 days now. Guessing we had about 8-10 inches of snow, hard to tell because it blew so hard. Me and the kids walked into a bush around our yard where the wind didn't get to, so using that as a measurement. Going to be very difficult to push this snow, it's so heavy and deep, and nothing frozen underneath , never got everything picked up before the snow, the poor kids toys might take a beating.

About 99% sure we are done harvest for the year. Haven't got a thing cleaned up and put away for winter yet. Not sure how bad the canola blew, it looked ok before dark, now it's under snow. Seen a few fields that where swather east/west and they looked to be moving around a bit.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Crazy how you guys can be getting that and we're getting this. Last three nights were minus 10. Highs of 6. Humidity has got down to the 20s.
We might even get to 45% done harvest before the next rain/snow (forecast says in about 30 hours from now).

20191012_161021.jpg

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hard to watch this from the high desert. I've lost quite a few crops to multi year drought. But this just looks awful. At least we can get crops off at harvest even if they suck. This just looks miserable, hang in there guys.

·
Registered
339 Posts
550 or so acres of soybeans to go, curious to see if that'll happen yet... Luckily they got hail so they are hardly even worth the effort, other than getting rid of the straw, kinda wanna put a crop in next year.

830 acres of corn to go. That's gonna be a bit more of a challenge, the guys who have started have said the yield is worth getting. Problem is it's still pretty wet, ~30% and now the ground is pretty wet, ~12" rain and now a foot or two of snow.

Ordered tracks for the combine last Tuesday morning and lucky we did, about an hour later I was told Soucy was sold out, Camso is sold out and some other outfit that starts with Z that I've never heard of is sold out.

Ordered a hydraulic motor drive for the cart since our 4wd tractors don't have PTO's.

Oh, and to top it off the Red River is flooding, NOAA in the states saying it'll hit "moderate" stage, right now sounds like about 5 feet lower than it was this spring during the flood. Ugh.

Here we go, 2016 round 2.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I still like winter, just not in September and October.
Sorry spent 20 years plus working in the cold in the patch.

When I retire the only place I’ll see ice is in the bottom of my drink

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I haven't been able to make any sense of Environment Canada's jet stream map for a couple years now. I don't look at it often but whenever I do it is just a bunch of arrows spread haphazardly around the map. I always understood the term "stream" meant a continuous flow but at EC it doesn't. I have not seen a continuous flow depicted on their jetstream map for a very long time. Whoever makes those drawings should sit down and look at it for 10 seconds and ask themselves WTF did I just try to represent here before publishing. More tax payer wealth pissed away.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Just looked at the map and it makes sense to me. The arrows show the direction of wind at altitude, and you can easily see how right now the stream is pushing south through BC, and then loops back up through Alberta, around Hudson's bay and and then around loops around the south end of Greenland and backup up to the northeast. there's another stream that is traveling across the southern US. Also it's likely the jet stream has split over manitoba and a part of it heads south there. Anyway you can see from the map that the jet stream is generally holding the colder, artic air from moving south. Obviously we can't see the jetstream and can't measure every point of air flow across the entire country to map it precisely, but the arrows give an indication of where it is likely flowing. Maybe the word "stream" is not the best word. It's a series of flows anyway, much like rivers have currents and eddies and swirls.

Whether that information is useful to me as a farmer is questionable. But the information is useful to those that study and follow weather, and since it's publicly-funded, it's published. I for one am very grateful for the tax dollars spent on weather monitoring and forecasting. For what it's worth, EC is often earily accurate in my area. Sometimes down to the hour, a whole day out.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
You can interpret that a lot better than I can. I can't see where is it cutting across the prairies, at Fort McMurray or the US border. The jetstream separates north and south air masses so it is nice to see where it lies. Aside from the one arrow near the great lakes it looks like the jetstream is situated near the border of the territories. I didn't think the jetstream split - by nature it is formed by a boundary between cold northern air and warm southern air, a split would imply cold/medium and medium/warm air boundaries. What you are saying is there are two jetstream, one going across the territories and one going across the northern US.

But I do prefer EC for forecasts over Weathernetwork. WN had lows of - 4 the past few days whereas EC was correct with - 7 to - 9.

WN had jetstream maps that I found useful but I can't even find it on their website anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I haven't been able to make any sense of Environment Canada's jet stream map for a couple years now. I don't look at it often but whenever I do it is just a bunch of arrows spread haphazardly around the map. I always understood the term "stream" meant a continuous flow but at EC it doesn't. I have not seen a continuous flow depicted on their jetstream map for a very long time. Whoever makes those drawings should sit down and look at it for 10 seconds and ask themselves WTF did I just try to represent here before publishing. More tax payer wealth pissed away.

Radiosondes are use to detect jet streams as incidental GPS data while recording other factors such as pressure and temperatures during flights occurring every twelve hours. Flights last less than two hours before the balloons burst from internal pressure after reaching ultra high altitude. A parachute then deploys to prevent the instrument from hitting the earth at terminal velocity.

Launch sites seem to be slightly sparse in western Canada, considering what’s at stake. You can watch a launch and see the device in the embedded video.

https://www.weather.gov/jetstream/radiosondes

201 - 220 of 331 Posts