The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
You know it's getting bad when you are happy to just be able to test it. Tries barley and canola Friday afternoon, couldn't even get a number on the dial on the moisture meter.:43:

·
Registered
971 Posts
I've managed to get 500 acres off. Most things are sprouting now and fields are sloppy wet. 6 to 8 inches of rain is a stupidly high amount for harvest around here.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
No exceptionally big rains here, just too many small ones to get going. I've got some 20% wheat I combined 2 weeks ago that is just getting down to 17% on air (just above floor) and yes I've been turning it the best I can. Only 25% done with all the canola and half the wheat still in the swath. Soys are still standing and staying green. Sounds like we might get 2 more days to run this week if the ground gets dry enough to run on. Most guys around here are picking up what they can dry, but some of my neighbors haven't got a bushel in the bin yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
I did one field where it took 2 combines 6 days to finish. Dew finally burnt off around supper so you go 3 hours till sunset and then park. Grain has all come off dry but straw just wont go through. This year has already been the most separator hours I've had and haven't started beans yet

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Nice day today and bly is still testing 18.3 then 19 on next field. Heads are all pointed straight down. Ripe is an understatement but the dryer has another 8000 bu of wet bly to dry. Quit and tried peas after supper and 18%. I would have taken them sooner but the straw was still chewy bad from the ground being damp still. Nothing sticking to the tires much but leaving imprints with my rice tires lug deep. I have a contract for a couple bins of peas that will feed olysky's pigs and splits don't matter there. Very fortunate to have the feed mill here. No railroad but at least there is a market for feed grains. I wanted a barn close to me for the access of the fertilizer you can get from it. Too many people were against it so the barn went elsewhere. The places where the farmers grow huge crops with minimal inputs are where the barns are lol.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Beautiful rain last night with unreal amounts of lightning for this time of year. Another harvest that is getting old fast. We’ve only done about 100ac of barley so far. Haven’t swathed any canola yet, maybe start tomorrow...I am thinking I need a dryer...but as dad says, “it’s only September, monsoon season”....

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Started into some canola last night at 12.5... it finally got down to dry around 4 today. By dark it was back up to 11.9... more rain in the forecast.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Doing barley now, very mature like dookillers. Everything going good yesterday, straight cutting testing around 14.8. Crazy high humidity last night but forecast on radio all day said good weather till weekend. Perfect, should be able to hit field today and take off dry then. Get up this morning and fog. Water dripping off combine. Wait till 2 pm and go back into field with overcast 22 deg 80% humidity and barley standing like a pyramid in hopper. Combine moisture meter says 15 ish, look at barley and its sprouted like crazy, and test weight way down. There was some sprouts yesterday but now they catch on the mesh grid on the swing auger and I have to continuously move the barley to get it through the 3" mesh. Never seen barley go south in a day. Bench tester says 19. I think the sprouts mess with the sensor on the combine. A total crap crop of barley out there now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Beautiful rain last night with unreal amounts of lightning for this time of year. Another harvest that is getting old fast. We’ve only done about 100ac of barley so far. Haven’t swathed any canola yet, maybe start tomorrow...I am thinking I need a dryer...but as dad says, “it’s only September, monsoon season”....
Ya I was watching that light show from the cart tractor last night too. It was impressive and persistent.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
That's the worst part with the wet weather and warm nights now for the last couple nights, everything keeps growing 24 hours a day, couldn't get better conditions for seeding. I really feel for you guys. Fortunately we got our cereals done a couple days ago. Same weather here, yesterday humidity was 95% until late afternoon and hot like a sauna, not much better today, little cooler. Fog this morning until noon, got going in canola again around 4 o'clock and testing just under 12, but every load was different. It got down to low 10 for awhile and even had 1 at 9.5%!! Quit around 12:30 and up to 12% again. See they have a severe thunderstorm watch out for tonight, nice.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
What does everyone think this will do to the feed market? Going to be a lot more feed come on the market for sure, but some pretty bad stuff and I think there might be some get left out possibly, maybe more than I think. The hog market is kind of our main market, so not sure if I should be worried or not.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Same couple days about wheat 15.5. Right on. Yesterday 17. So let’s fill dryer bin...and end of the day of course system comes by and rains. Going to be a slow slow harvest

There’s got to be a easier way to make a living....

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Wondering the same thing Kevlar. I think by June the feed was in short supply and pastures non existent around here. Sold some barley in June for $4.90 fob farm and they were calling to load in a couple of days. Twice had truckers calling in morning to load in afternoon as feed mill in Moosomin wanted it that day. So now how is feed stock rebuilding and more importantly is how the US corn comes off I suspect. What does an early snow do or long cold winter. As always, I have a wait and see attitude. Though good feed may be easier to sell then what I have. Always something different from one year to the next. The markets will do what the markets will do, often defying what a guy thinks should happen. There will likely be a lot of feed out there but if export demand goes up due to something like currency exchange rates and feed barley goes for $4.50 then I will be fine. Looks like $4.00 today. 10% bump through winter? May be possible.

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts
Must be the storm i saw driving in from Sask. wild, nonstop, flashes, was cool looking from a distance.
Years ago I went to a friends wedding in Domremy and closest I could get a hotel room was Wakaw, was half cut and was three in the morning when I was heading south back to my room in Wakaw for the what was left of the nite when I saw that horizon wide lightning show way off in the distance for the first time ever. Was clear as a bell where I was. Intrigued me to the point of pulling over and jumped up on the hood of the Suburban leaned back on the windshield and smoked a cigar while watching the show. Scheesh thats gotta be well over 30 years ago now, how time flies.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Years ago I went to a friends wedding in Domremy and closest I could get a hotel room was Wakaw, was half cut and was three in the morning when I was heading south back to my room in Wakaw for the what was left of the nite when I saw that horizon wide lightning show way off in the distance for the first time ever. Was clear as a bell where I was. Intrigued me to the point of pulling over and jumped up on the hood of the Suburban leaned back on the windshield and smoked a cigar while watching the show. Scheesh thats gotta be well over 30 years ago now, how time flies.
Right on! What blows me away is how far away some of these shows are taking place. I watched one this summer that I thought was quite close, looked at the radar on my phone and it was over Grand Forks, 300km straight line away from me!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Yes Ituna got it bad.
Absolutely nothing left in places.
Consider myself lucky with 1.5 inches more rain and light hail damage on 1 quarter.
Haven’t turned a wheel yet with the combine.

21 - 40 of 331 Posts