The Combine Forum banner

41 - 60 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
2” downpour at Rimbey and Eckville area today. Eckville wheat 1/4 got heavy pea sized hail. F**ken piss off.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
3/10" at my farm. Was at the dryer adjusting numbers with augers rattling and fans blaring and the thunder and lightening that night was close by. I could hear the thunder standing beside the dryer so you know how close it was. That cloud was east of me in the forest and went north toward Somme and Hudson Bay. Some got 3" and Hudson Bay in places 4"

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Oh good, another 9/10ths early this morning. Wild lightning, non stop for close to an hour, woke me and the kids up and the cat and dog weren't too crazy about it. Heard some hail hitting the windows and very strong winds, haven't gone to assess the damage yet, will go get the dryer going and deal with the canola we left in it over night because there wasn't much chance of rain according to environment Canada, until later morning or afternoon today. Good job guys! Oh and thanks for putting out the weather watch at 6:16AM, an hour after the storm started, guess the guy slept in this morning.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Oh good, another 9/10ths early this morning. Wild lightning, non stop for close to an hour, woke me and the kids up and the cat and dog weren't too crazy about it. Heard some hail hitting the windows and very strong winds, haven't gone to assess the damage yet, will go get the dryer going and deal with the canola we left in it over night because there wasn't much chance of rain according to environment Canada, until later morning or afternoon today. Good job guys! Oh and thanks for putting out the weather watch at 6:16AM, an hour after the storm started, guess the guy slept in this morning.
Weather incompetence knows no country border. We were supposed to be warm and dry today. Zero percent chance of anything except sunshine. As I type this, it's hammering down on the roof. They changed the forecast 45 min after the rain started.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If it isn't bad enough that commodities are depressed, now the weather is adding to the challenge of getting the crop off. I don't like the pattern that exists to continue harvest without the use of propane!!! Nothing seems easy any more, should be getting close to done, we are 1/2 done, guys around me are lucky to be at a 1/4.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Looks like eastern sask got hit good again last night. Woke up at 3 am to hard Rain on roof so looked at radar and saw a pretty good system move NE through province. I was just on edge of it. It occurred to me that for the last few weeks the systems have been following a similar path - moving south to north. I originally chalked it up to hurricane season pushing up but I will post that one of the results of global cooling was going to be an increased north/south flow rather than heavily jet stream driven. Can't remember the explanation right now but made sense at the time. Just something to add to list of observations one can make to see what proves true in hindsight. We have always seen the Jet stream clear things off from the west so less varied changes over weeks. In a more north/south flow that switches up one would expect more wild variations because of the very different climates at either end. In global warming talk that is told as extreme weather changes becuase it just is that way.

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
This has been such a strange year weather wise. We are getting such heavy dews now it seems like the wheat never wants to dry down normally. I wonder what will become of all the canola with very little heat in the forecast.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Heavy dew is just a normal thing in NE Sask. We are more surprised if we don’t get a heavy dew.

There are a few fields of canola around that are going to need a couple weeks yet. (Ours are either swathed or been sprayed for at least a week). As long as we have sun and no frost it should make it.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Another 4t yesterday. Second general rain of the year. Sadly last one was 10 days ago. Got more moisture these last2 weeks then all of June

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Heavy dew everyday and feed wheat I hear from producers near me. I looked at a sample and it looked nice to me. Had a little piebald but most a nice deep red. Buddy had 12 loads booked before harvest and wanted to haul from the dry bins to alleviate handling. They grabbed a sample the day before and told him the next day it was feed. Sprouted they said. The magnifying glasses are looking for anything and everything as usual start of fall. My buddy said well you got room? The pioneer said yes but we don't know what bin to put it in so he can't haul. So A feed wheat needs some time to think of which bin in needs to go in as they want to see more samples of wheat as it just has begun this week. I know for a fact if his wheat was feed, it all is around here. 3 provinces with a glut of feed grain!! Not good. Rained just to the north of me 1/2" and to the south of me in the forest yesterday at 5 am. North of Carragana and Somme where they got 3 " the other day got rain and some bad hail as well to really stick the knife in the back deeper. I have canola that I am swathing right now. Hasn't froze here yet, and I am thankful, but know frost is needed to straighten this dew thing out. Everything green keeps humidity high. Forecast is terrible next week. Still struggling to get my peas off so I can attack my barley. Cant wait anymore for aeratable grain. Once peas are off the bagger is going to be in full use. Put it in the bag and dry when I can. I have 10.000 bushel of wet bin storage but that will take a day to fill in this weather and no way dryer will keep up.

41 - 60 of 331 Posts