The Combine Forum banner

141 - 160 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
not to be a downer but the crops will look much worse tomorrow if the snow stays on them all night. At least that has been our experience the last four years.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just got in from spending a few hours in the yard tonight with a hockey stick knocking piles of snow off trees and bushes before they broke under the weight. Lots of heavy, sticky, wet snow here near Swift Current. Wow.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
6-8 inches of snow on the ground and a good chance of a Liberal Majority....were ******

How does it feel to get dumped on twice in one day??!!

Strange thing last night, me and my wife were watching TV and could hear ice/rain/snow hitting the windows, then out of nowhere, the entire sky lit up like the yard was full of welders, then about 15 seconds of loud rumbling thunder that shook the house. Weird.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I finished a field of winter wheat after supper. Got the combines home 11 mile trip and went back for the semi, cart and tandem all full. Snow started instantly as it became dusk, and by the time I got to the semi it was snowing hard. 40kmh was all I dare travel and was a long journey home. You know it's a strange yr when you are combining spring seeded barley before winter wheat. They were ready, close to the same time, but 11 miles away this field was victim to more rain this fall. Any way it has snowed all night but has melted as it hit the ground. Snow on roofs and on plants but anything on the ground is melting slowly from ground heat. I read every post on here everyday and to hear someone say I am new to this drying thing has me wondering what farming would be like without the expense of owning a dryer and purchasing propane. I remember last yr it snowing 4" in September (1 of several snows) and shut the dryer down the night before because ice was building up on the intake grate. The snow had finally stopped and went to turn the dryer back on and saw 4" of snow on top that I thought I should remove. The first section landed on me and down the back of my jacket and I just said %**K this and just turned the dryer on. Good Times they say lol. Praised my $100,000 dollar setup ever since, and every fall for the last 3yrs it has been the difference between getting the crop off or not at all. It's a payment I make, knowing that it will be worth it just about every yr. Winter wheat hit the mid 90's for yield. Unreal.

·
Registered
101 Posts
We had one big rumble of thunder as well. Though it was too cold to hear that but I guess you learn something new every day.
oh lord, with all this wet weather don't know what to call myself now, all the good names are taken! wet farmer ,crackfarmer 4 weeks ago, blizzardfarmer or just f%$ked farmer. This week is shot again with more rain in the forecast. Has anyone here had to leave beans over the winter, and is there anything left than . Already thinking I will have to pull the disc drill over top of them in the spring. This is the second time this year I have scene fish in my fields! were over 6 inches in last 2 weeks. Missed the hail storm by altona which sucked. What else can mother nature throw at us! beyond frustrated now!

·
Registered
377 Posts
We had one big rumble of thunder as well. Though it was too cold to hear that but I guess you learn something new every day.
oh lord, with all this wet weather don't know what to call myself now, all the good names are taken! wet farmer ,crackfarmer 4 weeks ago, blizzardfarmer or just f%$ked farmer. This week is shot again with more rain in the forecast. Has anyone here had to leave beans over the winter, and is there anything left than . Already thinking I will have to pull the disc drill over top of them in the spring. This is the second time this year I have scene fish in my fields! were over 6 inches in last 2 weeks. Missed the hail storm by altona which sucked. What else can mother nature throw at us! beyond frustrated now!
Beans overwinter just fine. Just grab them asap in the spring or they will mold in the pods.

The deer also find them tasty just FYI. I left 20 acres on some rougher dirt one year and every hunter in western Canada was on the door asking for permission.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you leave beans out over the winter you need to watch very very carefully for deer horns when combining in the spring. Whatever is left of your beans will probably be ok but your tire won't if it goes over a horn. Deer horns will go through the combine and they didn't seem to do too much damage but you will certainly know when they are going through.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
I left 40 acres of soybeans out last winter on a knoll that I intentionally seeded a couple of days after the crop insurance deadline. This was intentional to test the viability of later seeding dates to see if it warranted breaking up hundreds of acres of grass.

Because of the heat two summers ago the small plants were in a wilt stage most of the season and were a bit too short to harvest on the newly broken surface.

The photo shows what was left in the spring after about 50 deer visited each night. By the time the surface dryed off in the spring most of the bean seeds were mildewed, in my opinion.

But it did make fabulous cover crop and chem fallow on glacial lake sand.

https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=154313&stc=1&d=1569876747

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
Tell that to the guys up North. Going to need a **** of a lot more time then a few weeks
Yep, luckily we escaped most of the big snow event that the South got the last two days. We're currently sitting at 10% in the bin. It's not that it wasn't ready early enough either, it's the constant rain and/or snow that's keeping us out of the fields. I thought haying season was brutal, but at least you're not struggling to wrap that up before winter like grain crops. We'll need 4 or 5 days sun to get going again and then another two to three weeks of ZERO moisture to hopefully finish.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ya but if your drying at least your getting some off ..... we caught up with the dryer and are waiting to get some more off to dry . Pretty sad when you can’t keep enough grain combined to keep the dryer going

·
Registered
27 Posts
15 hopper bins (Harvest Hoppers), 3 Dryair boilers, 10hp fans, 200kw genset. We only put 42 tonnes in each and can dry down wheat from 19+ to 14.5 in 2.5-3 days. We find that if grain is to deep, more than 42 tonnes it takes way longer. Have a couple of Goebels that are smaller in diameter and at 42 tonnes thay take longer because of air restriction. And yes, they have been busy this year. ALL the barley and wheat had to be cooked.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
More rain again today, guess we won't get our one day of combining per week this week. Our yard is a total mess, moving grain around to dry when it's soaked and snow covered doesn't do it wonders. On the bright side, we are caught up drying again! One bright spot in the gloomy weather is grain prices are perking up a little. We got our oats off in good shape and was talking to the local Pioneer, and I get the impression we can pretty much set our price on them (the way it should always be) so for any of you with good quality grain, don't be giving it away.

·
Registered
377 Posts
We had two foot deep cracks in the ground until mid september, now the rain hasn't really shut off. We re starting to get.pretty soggy out there and it's pouring again today, I can't imagine what the guys in southern MB are looking like considering they've had heavy rain for two months now.

Lake agassiz is trying to fill back up again it seems.

141 - 160 of 331 Posts