The Combine Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Good pictures Phantom. Never have I seen a loom damage wire insulationand so it has never been one of the troubleshooting possibilities to be looked into. Would always look for physical damage on outside of a harness and then suspect the damage went deeper than the loom.

I suspect in Phantoms picture what you are seeing is heat damaging the insulation. The wire is warm and pressure from the loom ribs is concentrating the heat and melting the insulation. Those rib imprints look like the insulation melted and was displaced vs been worn away. I can't see a wire vibrating in such a way to rub off the insulation in those precise spots.

That split loom has been used for decades. Yesterday threw out a coil connection from a mid 70s Ford. That's the one piece coil cap with the two coil wires molded in and you slide it onto the coil. It has split loom over the wires coming off that connection. No one ever said "yup, that vehicle is 10 years old and has split loom laying on top of the engine - we need to rewire your vehicle". Never happened in history so I don't see the split loom being the issue.

My money is on poor insulation. And yes, split loom is highlighting the issue. Replacing the loom will alleviate it to some extent. Problem is, if the insulation is melting down due to heat then you still have the issue of wire to wire contact with in the new loom.

Hydraulic lines run hot so more heat transfered to loom and then to the wire insulation.

Can't say there is an easy fix. I just wouldn't go around looking at all my +20 year old equipment with split loom all over it and think I need to trade it off right away. I think the problem stems from the type of wire insulation Case is using here.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Looking again I see the copper in those wires is ground down too. So the ribs on the loom are chewing up the wires also and is not just a heat issue. Insulation of the wire should be more durable than the plastic loom wrapped around it. But not in those pictures.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Correct. It's abrasion from vibration, not heat. You're correct, though, that if the insulation of the wires was of higher quality this abrasion would probably take much longer. Rubber insulation instead of PVC would likely last longer but be much more expensive.

I'm going to take some of the looms apart this winter around the PTO gearcase and the engine and inspect them. Could buy some rolls of fabric loom tape and tape them up.

It would have cost them more but it's clear to me CNH should have used the woven style of looms instead of the split plastic.

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
I feel a bit third world these days when we can no longer get parts and have to scrap stuff together. Going to put parts changers out of business and need real guys that can diagnose stuff again. Glad to have the ones on here to help my brain keep learning.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Torriem; I believe you’re still running a 7230 and 7240 machine? I’m assuming you’re seeing this damage in the older, higher houred 7230? Does the 7240 use same loom and routing? I had a few different flagships and it seemed every newer model the wiring was routed a bit better (but still using the loom causing your issue). We always had trouble with the nylon zip tie that hold the loom rubbing through a hydro line and making a mess but many hours were spent off season going over these spots and wrapping small pieces of swather canvas on the hydro lines and knock on wood haven’t had a blown line since. We’re around the 13-1400 separator hour mark on our 2014 7230’s and feel they have lots of life left in them mechanically but all the wire chaffing like yours has is quite concerning.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Geeze I blew those pictures up phantom posted and the loom is worn through as well.
Some vibration there. Surprising considering it looks to be bolted to the top of the transmission.
Heat shrunk on loom cover has its issues as well but generally not to this extent.
The down fall of the heat shrunk cover it seems to somehow buckle the individual wires and sometimes you get the smallest kink and you have a break the wire will go open intermittent or permanent.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yes this was on the older 7230. The wiring on that combine is virtually unchanged from the 8010 as far as the looms and routing goes. On the 7240 they made some changes around the PTO gearbox. I haven't looked closely but I know at least the problematic zip ties near the feeder CVT are changed. They still use the ribbed split loom material though.

I found wires with wear marks on them not near any zip ties and just hanging in air. This was a small 2-wire loom. So just small movements over time can still cause problems. I think the bigger looms have tighter bundles and probably wear mostly from the tie downs. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
5,965 Posts
Is there a tool or easy way to put the wires into split loom?
A Wrench.

I don't kid you. I make a ton of wiring harnesses. If you have a 1/2" loom for instance, grab a 7/17 or 3/8" wrench. Put all your wires inside the box end of the wrench. Pull the wrench through the loom. Done.

I should make a video I guess. TE makes a "tool" which I bought, and it's a joke... plus cuts your fingers! Wrenches are so much easier.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts