The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if u guys have any advice..so we bought an item off of ritchie bros on that last monster sale in nisku...lets just say we got it for a smoking deal...long story short, they called us a week later saying that the item has a lien against it, and that they will reimburse our money (30k)...i smelled a rat, and we did some investigating, lawyer told us the lien was payed off the week following the sale..meanwhile the seller apparently raised a fuss with Ritchie,saying that they werent supposed to sell it till next sale,etc....and in turn they somehow managed to drive it off the lot, without the release ticket.. the item has been payed for, we have a bill of sale, tod document and it is currently registered to OUR company if you look it up on the canada database...our lawyer says to get the truck, and the cops say they are not getting involved....ritchie has stopped answering our calls..they did send a cheque but we havent cashed it...because we dont know how to proceed...should we take the money and run? Or do we have a case to obtain the item somehow? Shouldnt ritchie be accountable if they dropped the ball? Any advice would help....

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts
No idea on legal advice. Richie messed up.
It did have a lien on it during the sale. It should not have been sold. If it were me I would let them buy it back. I would also let them know you are not happy to sell it back. Tough position. It can and does happen.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'd cash the cheque and forget about it. It sounds like Ritchies's isn't in possession of it anymore? It's just a big headache I'd avoid. Who knows what shape it will be in if you ever actually get possession of it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Absolutely should be compensated over and above what you paid.
You bought item legally, it’s registered in your name. You have some legal fees. You made plans to use the item after legally acquiring it. You bought others tools/equipment to support the use of this item after you legally purchased it. You now lost time and suffered economic hardship from not being able to take possession of this item, etc etc.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds like it is going to be a lot of stress for a truck. As a friend once said to me, maybe this situation happened for a reason, there will be another truck. There is life after this deal. We all have enough stress on things we can't control without going looking for it. Cash the cheque, remember the event and continue on.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I am sure if you read the fine print, everything is in Richie Bros favor.

As a minimium they should cover your costs to register it and any insurance premium lost.

You do have to be careful as technically you bought it with a lien on it, as it was not paid off yet. That could come back to eat up more lawyer $$ if you proceed.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I am sure if you read the fine print, everything is in Richie Bros favor.

As a minimium they should cover your costs to register it and any insurance premium lost.

You do have to be careful as technically you bought it with a lien on it, as it was not paid off yet. That could come back to eat up more lawyer $$ if you proceed.
You buy everything free and clear at Ritchies! It’s the law.
And if your farm has a GSA out on it which technically everyone’s farm has if you have a line of credit. Your bank has interest in that piece you just paid Ritchies for too.
Ritchies can say anything they want or try to push you around but they have very little to stand on once they invoice you. Stand your ground

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ritchie brothers is the biggest bunch of crooks in the auction game and now this online b s has just given them a licence to print money. I couldn’t be bothered to even register for their sales anymore, if they don’t meet their reserve it just goes to another sale. Last time I tried to buy something off rb suddenly at 2-3am 2 bidding numbers mysteriously ran the item up for couple minutes then never bid again. U had the fortune of getting a deal to bad for them, if the item would of went for 2x 3x times what u bid I’m pretty sure the seller would not of said oh sorry there’s a lean. This deal stinks typical rb

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I would imagine the seller signed the paperwork indicating there was no lien and that probably gives RB the legal fallback.
There legally required to check everything. Just like your equipment dealers must check everything no matter what you tell them. This is part of the reason RB pulls stuff out of sales at last minute when they can’t get liens cleared.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts