The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how does it work if you buy (for example) a vertec dryer thats on cement blocks at High Prairie? Will Ritchies load it onto a flatdeck trailer for you? And has anybody used the uship option on their website?

Thanks

·
Registered
436 Posts
Only one I've been to in person is Williston. They had a big payloader there for loading during the pickup hours. Everything is pretty straightforward. Pay for what you purchased and let them know who is picking it up. I've used uship and it works fine. Wouldn't hurt to check with other shipping companies just to get a idea what you should be paying.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Yeah, uship is pretty fair. Got a quote for moving stuff out of Nisku and was a reasonable price, but I am cheap and did it myself. Uship is just a bunch of contractors on a richie list. So if you are buying at at farm sale you will end up paying for the uship contractor to load it up.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Maybe different yards are different (but I seriously doubt that). The Saskatoon yard will do everything short of carrying the item home for you. I've seen absolute gong shows there where guys show up with inadequate equipment to haul disabled purchases and they leave with it on their trailer. Phone them and ask. They're the class act of the industry - you pay for it but they look after their customers.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I was surprised to find that RB supplied a loader and operator at an estate auction up in Beaverlodge where I recently bought a 4 wheel grain pup trailer. It was a farm repurposed unit for use around the yard. Wish I had known there was loadout service before hand because I would have gone for it with a gooseneck or lowbed instead of trying to tow it home. Wound up getting pulled over near Whitecourt and having to hire someone to load it up and haul it home. Wound up being a slightly expensive trailer. Definitely call ahead.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I'd think you're on your own in that situation.

Usually the catalog has the loading details spelled out in it but a phone call would answer a few questions. At a yard sale they won't even let you drop the blade off a cat. Need a mechanic to do that for you at $150 for a 5 minute job.
Not sure about that. Bought a cat there last fall, and took the blade off ourselves. Trucker loaded it up by himself.

They are also very good at helping to load. Bought a disabled tractor in Saskatoon, they very patiently brought it over, and pushed it on the trailer in a blizzard. Have been really helpful everytime I have needed something loaded.

They have also been really good about extending the pickup deadline( even multiple times) when weather or farming conditions don't allow me to pick something up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bad altitude I was almost in the same situation as you, I bought a pup near Edgeley last week at a RB sale, and I guess I'm getting forced to get it trucked home after I read the fines, can't pull the things with a pickup truck, which I think is very stupid, but I would have to go down the 16 highway most of the way through some heavily patrolled zones, so I ain't going to risk it over 500 bucks, even though the seller tells me just chuck some weight in the back of a half ton and go, but I did buy another one from a private guy and I pulled it home with a half ton (kinda sketchy to say the least), I was going slow on the backroads and I guess there was an accident somewhere on the road and I met the cops coming back from it, I was think sure as **** I'll be pulled over, but lucky they just drove on by. Probably only didn't pull me over because I was on a grid road by that point but did have to go down the highway a bit. This was on Saturday morning though to. When I got back the local truck mechanic/safety guy told me I was insane for doing that. Oh well time goes on. Did you have to pay PST on yours? Mine never leave the yard so I'm hoping I can get my tax back. The one in Edgeley is sure turning expensive quick enough as it is.

·
Registered
211 Posts
We don't have PST here in Alberta KellyM so no worry there for me but did pay GST which I should be able to get back. Ill try not to bore everyone with the details but the 2 young eager beaver highway patrol spent a good 3 hours going over my truck and the trailer. The trailer had only brakes on 1 axle and the lights didn't work so I had attached a slow moving sign on the back with battery operated hazard lights on all corners, kind of like a farm implement. They were not impressed. I told him there were plenty of trucks like mine pulling air drills past here with no signal lights and that weigh 10 times what my pup trailer does. With the truck they went way over board in my opinion, checking things like serial numbers of tires to determine age even though the tires are pretty good set of Michelins all around with absolutely no cracking. They tried to ticket me for having no muffler till I pointed out the 2 stack mounted like new mufflers. Oh mufflers were usually underneath they said. They finally wrote up a ticket for a loose suspension bolt where they found they could turn a washer on. Also a slightly leaky valve on the truck, so they said (I cant hear it and the truck will hold air overnight as well as passing all their air loss tests) and with one driver tire that had worn a bit wonky they declared the truck to be not road worthy. So this is a Sunday afternoon about 30 miles from Whitecourt with nothing open. In the end I was lucky (I guess) to find an outfit with a Landoff style trailer that could load the whole unit, tractor and trailer, and haul me home. I've already done the repairs to the truck which amounted to nothing really. The trailer is fine as is for its intended purpose. So I'm home now with $1000 worth of fines and $2000 for the hauling.

What really pissed me off more than anything was the heavily accented young beaver telling me, after I asked them if they were proud of themselves, that it was satisfying knowing he had taken a dangerous unit off the road. I replied that my record of 45 years as a class 1 driver, hauling all over the continent in the past, without so much as a speeding ticket spoke for itself.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
Big diff on loading out at a sale in one of RB's yard and one at a farm. As has been said, a phone call will answer your concerns. At a farm site sale, I highly doubt they would assist in loading out that dryer, no different than a bin or other type of movable structure. RB often will state even for items at their own yards, load out is at buyers expense...and what that means is you are on your own and yes, they can insist you use proper services and people to do it.
What I find interesting, is how with some skidded dead row items, they would rather load you with one or more wheel loaders than have you suck it on with a winch yourself, it was explained to me it is all to do with limiting liability.

Don't forget that the buyer's fees now also apply to farm sales on private property now same as in their own yards.

Last RB farm sale I bought anything at, was the farmer himself that was doing the loading utilizing a wheel loader and track hoe which were also part of the sale, and that had been advertised that service was going to be available and that those machines could not be removed for a specified period to allow a few days loadout service.

And guys, the days of dragging hyway trailers down the road not up to snuff are long gone. Its one of the reasons a lot of those older units sell cheap now, because hauling them has become almost a necessity. My last rolling the dice was when I drug home an old furniture van from Nisku, gambled on things being ok enough to get it home, even took a licence plate to hang on it to make it look good. Tires were good, air ride and brake system no leaks, but one brake was hung up and virtually no signal or brake lights. I backed off the one brake and took as back road of route as I could out of Nisku and around Sherwood Park and FT Sask to head north and home. Traffic was horrible everywhere and by the time I got north of the Fort, even I was a nervous wreck lol, never again. Next one will get hauled on the scissor neck. As BA found out, the fines and recovery make it unfeasible to take the chances anymore.

Then of course the damage those RB loader operators can do is another story...anyone else ever sit there waiting for a loader and see the carnage that goes on at times lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
We don't have PST here in Alberta KellyM so no worry there for me but did pay GST which I should be able to get back. Ill try not to bore everyone with the details but the 2 young eager beaver highway patrol spent a good 3 hours going over my truck and the trailer. The trailer had only brakes on 1 axle and the lights didn't work so I had attached a slow moving sign on the back with battery operated hazard lights on all corners, kind of like a farm implement. They were not impressed. I told him there were plenty of trucks like mine pulling air drills past here with no signal lights and that weigh 10 times what my pup trailer does. With the truck they went way over board in my opinion, checking things like serial numbers of tires to determine age even though the tires are pretty good set of Michelins all around with absolutely no cracking. They tried to ticket me for having no muffler till I pointed out the 2 stack mounted like new mufflers. Oh mufflers were usually underneath they said. They finally wrote up a ticket for a loose suspension bolt where they found they could turn a washer on. Also a slightly leaky valve on the truck, so they said (I cant hear it and the truck will hold air overnight as well as passing all their air loss tests) and with one driver tire that had worn a bit wonky they declared the truck to be not road worthy. So this is a Sunday afternoon about 30 miles from Whitecourt with nothing open. In the end I was lucky (I guess) to find an outfit with a Landoff style trailer that could load the whole unit, tractor and trailer, and haul me home. I've already done the repairs to the truck which amounted to nothing really. The trailer is fine as is for its intended purpose. So I'm home now with $1000 worth of fines and $2000 for the hauling.

What really pissed me off more than anything was the heavily accented young beaver telling me, after I asked them if they were proud of themselves, that it was satisfying knowing he had taken a dangerous unit off the road. I replied that my record of 45 years as a class 1 driver, hauling all over the continent in the past, without so much as a speeding ticket spoke for itself.
Thanks for getting back, that would have really pissed me off to have to spend that long waiting for them to do an inspection and then be hammered about every little thing, guess that's just how it is now a days. Hopefully that trailer works good for you.

KellyM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts