The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a jd low houred track tractor, it always seems like they sell a lot softer at the auction then any dealer. Yet dealers tell me they dont bid on them because of the new jd quad coming out. Has anybody bought one at this sale before and any ideas why they bring 100k less then dealer lots?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I'd get the serial numbers in a few your interested in and get a JD service or sales guy to run them. If they're decent guys and have value for your current and future business they'll do it for you. They should get you the build sheet and previous owner, and if you can call the last guy that owned it. Also some of them tractors may have extended warranty. Remember on those tractors anything emissions related has a five year warranty through JD.
A few reasons they go softer at auction: Guys will usually have a trade they need to deal off or sell privately before they are prepared to shell out the cash at auction. Also every one is afraid they won't get service from their local dealer if bought at auction. Also most dealers are gonna look after something if it blows up after you just get it home. An auction tractor your SOL.
A lot of farmers don't really know what their equipment is worth. Or what their buying is worth. The auction is one of the few places where you will actually pay what its worth, use it for a few years and still be worth what you paid. It's also a place you can get burned. I've bought a lot of stuff at auction and have never had any serious mechanical problems to follow.
I bought a 9630t, cash no trade deal, this spring from my local Case dealer for about 80000 less than my local JD dealer a few weeks before the RB auction in Saskatoon knowing full well their were I think 5 coming up that day. I valued the dealers good faith at about 10-15000, and the tractor I was buying from the dealer was mint, the tracks and bogeys were like new, it was gonna cost me time and money to get home, dealer had 0% financing at no charge to me at the best cash price I could find in Canada. The first one that sold which was the one I wanted brought a little less than I paid. The rest got cheaper but you don't know that. Last fall they brought really good money.
A two track JD under 2000hrs is worth about 220 Can. You can buy a 9560rt south of the boarder at auction with some warranty for less than a 30t on a dealer lot here. I was about 5 mins too late this spring from buying one for 220 US. Kibble equipment had an online auction last week, a 9560rt with warranty till March sold for 229 US. But it only takes one more bidder to make the price go up:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.