The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that may not know what a rice harvest can be like when the crop lays down ....... here's a birds eye view.
The view & noises in the cab are something you just have to experience!

·
Super Moderator
2,650 Posts
Then you wonder why you have trouble with concave mounts?!
Pretty erratic straw flow.
Would have thought SR would help more than that.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then you wonder why you have trouble with concave mounts?!
Pretty erratic straw flow.
Would have thought SR would help more than that.
Yes, strippers have lots of trouble in these conditions. You can't see in the video, but in the background there is new JD draper & another type of head. You can't have one stripper head to do everything.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
I would have traded you that harvest for ours last fall. That is no fun is it?? At least it looks like flat ground.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Nice video again. The music almost made me cry, looking at the harvest conditions.
Do the stripper manage to get everything? Looks like it is missing some very flat stuff every now and then.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,691 Posts
Bosot, Anything missed is the operators fault or the skid plates are to high. The shelbourne can certainly “strip” everything but what you won’t see is the millions of rice kernels that it drops on the ground. Going into the crop heads first is nearly always a 9 out of 10 quality job but going bottom or tail first along the plant is bad news. The stripper plates can’t actually lift the heads up, it just strips them off virtually still flat on the ground so there is obscene losses. Most growers tend not to see this loss if its their own machine...........;)

By the way, in these sorts of terrible conditions, with good stripper plates, the shelbourne will often just tear off the plant near ground level anyway so there’s nearly the same amount of material processed as a cutterbar.

Iam sure Rod is very enthusiastic each morning to get to work.........:1::1:

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice video again. The music almost made me cry, looking at the harvest conditions.
Do the stripper manage to get everything? Looks like it is missing some very flat stuff every now and then.
Strippers are not designed for these conditions & as such, they have very high losses. Plus you need a large supply of sheer bolts!

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If there were no rocks I’d love to try 15 t/ha rice!
My combine though.
780 pushing 40’ FD140 in flat, damp, 20%, 15t/ha rice ....... I’d be able to sell tickets to that show! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Slower than others? Or do you know?
Its seriously tough conditions. I worked with a 770 a few years ago in tough rice & it had transition problems between the beater & separators ..... made horrible noises! I gather this issue is a problem still in tough damp canola or soybeans ....... unless you got to Sunnybrook & fill your truck up with improvements!

·
Super Moderator
2,650 Posts
Its seriously tough conditions. I worked with a 770 a few years ago in tough rice & it had transition problems between the beater & separators ..... made horrible noises! I gather this issue is a problem still in tough damp canola or soybeans ....... unless you got to Sunnybrook & fill your truck up with improvements!
SB mods work well in canola but rice residue looks “stringyer” to me, getting it divided appears to be even more difficult.
Claas does build a rice special unit for California but I can’t remember how it is modified other than it has a spike tooth cylinder.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Where in Australia you still doing rice mate? I'm from Southwest Vic it's very sad when you drive up past deniliquin these days.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,691 Posts
There’s still a little bit around the Murrumbidgee rice capital Nick.

It will be interesting what Rod has to say now or if any “new” videos appear considering the crop has just had 50mm of rain on it...........

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There’s still a little bit around the Murrumbidgee rice capital Nick.

It will be interesting what Rod has to say now or if any “new” videos appear considering the crop has just had 50mm of rain on it...........
Yes ....... the 30mm will add a few more degrees of difficulty!

Oh yes. Drone is in sickbay ....... one motor had a severe over heating issue & started melting the mountings! :38:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts