The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone care to share their thoughts on rock traps? Picked up a couple of early style (4 paddle drum) 60 series traps last week. I know they now use a 3 paddle drum in them. Have heard they can be a bottle neck getting material to feed into the rotor. Have been cutting peas with the machine and so far have been lucky and not picked up any stones. The potential is there so was hoping on a little more insurance to prevent if it doesn't cause to many additional problems. Thanks for your ideas. Dennis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Rock trap has caused me more frustration than any other part of my axial-flow. With oem beater it is THE bottleneck, except in corn. I run a 2366 and have 18 yrs experience with that size machine. In my area I have no choice but to run a rock trap. Last season I put a new style beater in and I love it. Go to www.razorrockbeaters.com and have a look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Brian,
Did the razor fix the feeding problem?Thinking of getting one if it works as they say it does. Hope it also would help in green stem soybeans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
I installed a progressive rock trap beater from Precision Farm Parts Inc. http://www.pfparts.com
in my 1688 last year, along with a set of Marlin ears. I just love what it did to that combine!
It really increased the capacity of the machine.. and seamed to do an very good job in the rock protection department.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Bubbaleroy, I would say yes, it fixed the feed problem. At the very least it improved feeding dramatically. I don't think I sacrificed any rock protection either. I only have about 350 hrs experience with it though.
I run some really wet barley, thats where I had the most trouble with the oem. Also some green stemmed beans. With the oem I never had to worry much about choking the rotor 'cause I could never get enough material through the rock trap to do it. That is no longer the case!
I would also add that drive chain life is really improved dramatically. I don't have a good comparision yet, but I can tell you that I'm going to get more life out of a standard 60H drive chain with this beater than I got out of that $$$$$$ o-ring chain with the oem beater.
I might also add that the beater I ran last season did not have the shark tooth edges. When I bought mine they didn't have the wear stips made yet. I will be adding them here soon, it will be interesting to see how they affect it. The wetter and tougher the conditions, the better you will like the razor.
I would be interest to hear more of linuxfarmers results from the progressive beater. I almost went that route when I put the razor in but I was afraid of all those edges with the staggerd design, I was afraid the might wrap my long wet barley straw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Another question for linuxfarmer. The marlin elephant ears, are they basically standard ears with the end trimmed off? And did you do the ears and the beater at the same time? I'm wondering if you have any idea what the ears did for you, aside from the rock beater?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
I did the marlin elephant ears at the same time as the rock trap beater, as suggested by mike from presision farm parts. So I am not really sure what the beater would do without changing the elephant ears. As far as crops... wet Oats was always the worst crop for us.. and I cant believe the difference.

I can let you know this fall.. how it compares to the 04 2388 with an AFX. They will be running side by side this fall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
bubbaleroy. Green stems beans are no problem for the Razor if you want to have some contact with some of my customers that have used them let me know and I can get you phone #'s or e-mails.. Thanks..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Super H,
Emailed you couple days ago and got info and prices on razor and torque capsule. I will be in touch soon....... Thanks, Glenn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I ordered the razor drum. Finally got the shaft out of the old drum. I am pretty sure this rock trap had been in a flood several years back. Mud in quite a few places. Anyway the shaft was really rusted up. It did not help that it was about one fourth of the way out of the drum and let the inside of the drum fill up with crud. I ended up cutting a panel off the old drum, wire brushing much rust off the shaft and many times with the hot wrench to get it out of the bearing. Did save the shaft and since it was the off season I guess I had the time to spend doing that. Now if I figure my labor at about $5.00 an hour I may have come out on the deal.
I will be interested in seeing how this works next harvest.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top