The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be cutting a soybean field tomorrow that has a few rocks in it.(Oil well crew years ago, hauled rocks in for their road, and plenty have be scattered about). I have my 2188, with my 1020 flex head, being new with this machine, I have never encountered rocks before. This machine does not have a rock trap, but does have a rock drum(whatever that is?) Any tips, whatever I can be aware of, so I dont send rocks through my rotor and causing heavy damage? Thanks for all who reply!
Jim

·
Registered
975 Posts
Quote:I am going to be cutting a soybean field tomorrow that has a few rocks in it.(Oil well crew years ago, hauled rocks in for their road, and plenty have be scattered about). I have my 2188, with my 1020 flex head, being new with this machine, I have never encountered rocks before. This machine does not have a rock trap, but does have a rock drum(whatever that is?) Any tips, whatever I can be aware of, so I dont send rocks through my rotor and causing heavy damage? Thanks for all who reply!
Jim

Stone retarder drum is what you have. The feeder chain is inset in the drum, and it has blocks to limit up travel of the drum. This will keep a big rock from entering the combine. However small ones will. I had this and a rock trap on my 2188. They worked great together. Get yourself a rock trap if you can. Cheap insurance in my book. Otherwise keep your eyes open. Good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
depending how thick the beans are I think I would just set the stone drum to the lowest setting . I did that with my first combine was a 1460 and worked fine.We do beans in a lot of rock those 1020 float over the rocks good as long as you dont catch a big one.Just have a lot of guards and sections with Good luck

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
little rocks (like the size of your fist) can get past the stone retarder drum, so those are the nasty ones. Bigger rocks should stop there. For the most part, moving fast is what causes the header to pick them up. If you see a rock, just slow down to like 1 mph to go over it. You don't need to lift the header, the guards will do their job and it will walk right over the rock.

When you hit a bigger rock at like 4 MPH, thats when you bend guards. Little rocks will get in between the gaurd and sections, which will cause those to break.

Oh, and on your rock retarder drum, be sure you turn the little square stops to limit the travel. You can turn them and let it go up higher for crops like corn. There is one on each side of the feederhouse right behind the drum.

-Lance

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:little rocks (like the size of your fist) can get past the stone retarder drum, so those are the nasty ones. Bigger rocks should stop there. What happens when the bigger rocks stop, does the slip clutch do its job?

Oh, and on your rock retarder drum, be sure you turn the little square stops to limit the travel. You can turn them and let it go up higher for crops like corn. There is one on each side of the feederhouse right behind the drum.
How do I know where to set the stops, for beans?
-Lance

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have a rock trap on my 1620. i also put a 3" reinforced sprayer
hose on my 1020 head just behind the cutter bar. this helps to keep the bigger rocks out. some will get by and the trap will catch them. better to keep them out and save your feeder house chain.

hth

Duane

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.