The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Depending on how rural you are, you could be to the point of being happy to have a crappy mega dealer near by.

Our dying towns are slowly losing most things. So basically we're left in the middle of nowhere, with no doctors, hospitals, etc. etc. Running a bunch of plastic computerized crap that we can't work on ourselves, and have to haul it 3 hours to get worked on.

So while there's things we don't like about our mega, at least we have one.

·
Registered
472 Posts
on second hand equip it drives me nuts not being able to deal with someone at the location the machine is sitting at.....

have had a couple times now when I have called a dealer about something online, been told to talk to someone 200 miles away from the machine but closer to me, who knows nothing about it, blow a day driving to look at the machine, and finding its a total piece of junk. that's always fun.

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
My beef isnt directly with the RME in Manitoba. In fact, Ive never spoken with anyone there. That location had a combine listed on tractorhouse, but the number attached was a satellite location in Kansas. Id typically think that is odd, but as big ad dealers are trying to get, Im sure my next call will be redirected to a call center in India.
RME actually has at least one dealer in the states now so thats where you might see the Kansas location. Their other tactics sounded downright ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
Like many of the dealers my local RME (Boissevain) store has many of the great people that came before the buyout, some employees are former owners even so I can't complain at all about the service & parts. I just cant agree with anyone that complains about RME service, I just don't have that experience and I am not a brand loyal customer, red & green tractors and a smattering of colors for the rest of the farm.
My biggest problem is sales dept, they currently have some good people in there but it took them 3 years to find someone that actually wants to work their for longer than 2 months. I bought a used tractor and the salesman had quit before i even took delivery! And when I say sales dept I actually mean how RME head office treats their sales dept, absolutely no support from the higher ups, the pricing is ridiculous sometimes, they'd rather let something sit on a lot for 4 years and rot then sell it at a reasonable dollar. In the end they take a bath on it on RBauction a 1000 miles away when they could have got 50% more selling it to a local farmer and guess what? That farmer would come back and buy parts! As mentioned above they way they treat service, sales, parts as separate divisions and are essentially competing against each other doesn't nothing for employee moral or team building.

But then again looks like Mazers is gonna end up the same way if they keep buying dealerships they will end up going publicly traded too.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Nicks service Regina, Cropper Motors Naicam, RJ Sales Wadena, A.E. Chicoine Storthoaks. Wynard Equipment Sales, Wheatbelt Sales, Brownlee Ag Services. Valley Side Sales
Not many family owned dealers left.
Of this list only Chicoine is a CaseIH dealer.
One of the Chicoine brothers lives in town here, he isn't part of the business.
One guy told me he was in a jam for parts and drove from here to Storthoaks, he spoke highly of them.
RME is kind of a joke here.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Leos Sales and Service is a family owned dealership at Winnipeg. I don't think there is such thing as a perfect dealership.....even the private ones. And I think the writing is on the wall for them also as RME is trying to push into the area from their closest location and CNH doesn't seem to care.

·
Registered
178 Posts
F.V Pierlot and Sons in Nipawin , now owned by the 3rd generation. There is a theme that most are Agco dealers. Here in the NE we have numerous Agco dealers and they are all independent, and I would say they all give good service.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It is not that the mega dealerships are expanding at will, it is more that the existing dealerships have one or all of the partners that want to sell out and most of the dealerships have gotten too large for a single buyer to take over. So the dealership sells to RME for example and gets RME shares that can't be sold for at least "x" number of days and that is the exit strategy.

Local RME here is excellent. Really depends on who is managing the group of stores and who the employees are. Local Deere dealership was the best. Cervus aquired them and now they are one of the worst to deal with.

·
Registered
204 Posts
They lost me as a customer in 2014. I used to have an entire yard full of red paint and was a reliable 1-2 year flip guy, my trades rarely saw the lot. When it changed from Miller Equipment to RME you could see the trajectory turn downward.

I'm not going to claim intimate knowledge of how their internal operations are run, but here is hopefully some constructive criticism.
>Less control at the local dealer level, move away from store managers
>Sales, Parts and Service dep't seem to be tracked separately with incentives given to each. This leads to an "each for their own" mentality, instead of working together. Seems every deal ends up involving all three departments in some way, so they need to be on same page and not fighting with eachother.
>Seems to be a bias to sales guys operating off commission. Ag is a cyclical business and good employees should not be wondering where their next paycheck is coming from.
>Need to keep good employees and keep them interested and engaged. Ask for their input. Everything seems to be a top-down management structure which is wrong.

Other issues have been:
>CNH has had a decline in product quality, too much cost cutting with Chinese parts and poor build quality.
>Rapid rise in cost of equipment. This is not the fault of the dealers necessarily but IMO will lead to the widespread failure of the industry as we know it. This is completely unsustainable and I'm guessing the whole ponzi scheme collapses within 5-10 years.
>An industry-wide move toward glamorizing equipment. This can be blamed first on JD but everyone is participating these days. Look at the buildings these guys are putting up and the service trucks they drive, WE PAY FOR ALL THAT CRAP!!! This is a huge problem. It's just equipment and it does not make a farm successful, it's neccesary to have it but it's only one line on the balance sheet. Smart managers look for ways to minimize that line, not make it bigger and they don't care how it looks to the neighbors. It has to start being run like a business again...

Hopefully that was helpful. Our local store recently hired on one of the previous guys that was key in the "Miller Equipment days", I have modest hope that he is allowed to change a few things, will wait and see.
Sounds like u are describing Pattison Ag JD dealers around here. Hate that they take most of their used equipment to rb auction. Last year we had a major breakdown on a greenlghted combine. Deal is supposed to be they provide one if yours dies. There wasn't one used combine on the lot as they had dragged them all to Ritchie's sale. They did eventually get us one but it was a gong show.

·
Super Moderator
3,068 Posts
It is not that the mega dealerships are expanding at will, it is more that the existing dealerships have one or all of the partners that want to sell out and most of the dealerships have gotten too large for a single buyer to take over.
Pretty much parallels what is happening to farming industry in general.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts