The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Rogator 1074 with a cat c12 engine, when it sits for a while its a real bitch to start, like its not getting fuel. I prime it, and there is fuel right away, no air bubbles.. When it's turning over there is tons of white smoke. This happens if it sits for more than a few days, the longer it sits the worse it is, I started it today, it took me 2 hours!

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Bad lift pump.... also. Timing could be behind? But its an electric motor.... shouldnt have the issue...

Air filter? Fuel filter?

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Sounds like it's getting plenty of fuel, just not burning it. I'm thinking retarded timing, have you done any work to the fuel system lately?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had 2 new injectors last year (150 hours ago) all new fuel filters at same time, problem existed before and after work. I will change the air filter..

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
As I don't know how the C12 is designed I am just speculating that if its set up somewhat similar to a 3406E with injector cups, its possible you may have some injector o rings and coolant cup o rings failing so fuel and coolant is dribbling down into the combustion chambers over a period of time and then when you try to start the engine you have raw fuel and coolant sitting on top of the pistons but a leaked down fuel rail system. That white smoke can be a sign of coolant. Just the fact that it gets worse the longer it sits tells me ether its on the top end or a check valve is allowing the fuel to flow back ... and a weak lift pump struggles to overcome a problem.

Have you checked your coolant level and to see if it looks ok, no oil looking substance floating on top of the coolant when you take the cap off or in the reservoir.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Wouldn't it be a C9 not a C12
I don't know if there is any difference in the fuel systems
There is a steel canister fuel filter between the tank and engine mounted filter on later models, don't know the 1074
No fault codes showing ?

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Wouldn't it be a C9 not a C12
I don't know if there is any difference in the fuel systems
There is a steel canister fuel filter between the tank and engine mounted filter on later models, don't know the 1074
No fault codes showing ?
There are some big fuel system difference c9 is heui fuel system while c12 is EUI.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Sounds like a heui issue, like oil is draining from the high pressure pumps reservoir. Is the issue more when temps are low? What is the oil change history like? Correct oil viscosity for the climate?

Madsnake

·
Registered
52 Posts
We did a HEUI pump on our C9 a few years ago. It would start ok, but had no power. Don't know enough about them to offer anything else, but if it is low on power try that.
Maybe crook O rings on an injector? Are you making oil? Check breathers on fuel tank, ours is a 1274 and it has plastic tanks - don't know about yours.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Huh, tractor specs do say 3126B? I don't know why I had it in my head C12?? Fuel tank is plastic and breather is clear.

Oil changes happen annually (in about 2 weeks) cooler temps are when this is more common, but I can start other diesels in -15C no problem??

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Iambear, is there a block heater on that engine by any chance as I was wondering if its used, then will it just fire up without issues ?. I guess you haven't been around some of the older diesel engines then as anything approaching the freezing point means it won't start without some sort of aid, be that being plugged in or ether, or glow plugs. The older 855 Cummins is a good example, below +40F and it won't start on its own and when it does start with ether its blowing the white smoke out like crazy as it pops and bangs as it runs.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I honestly don't know if it has a block heater or not? Haha I would have thought if you needed to use the block heater to start it.. You shouldn't be spraying!

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I know LOL, I just saw you mention the -15c and thought well, maybe you are just trying to get it out of the shed. Chances are with your unit, there is something wrong given that it gets worse as it sits and just hope its nothing that will cause problems by using it as it is. Hard to say if it has a block heater but no harm in looking to see if its equipped ... some combines even have them.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
its not the air fiter i know that much is there only white smoke or mix of blue too ?

it could be atifreeze leaking in to the top of the pistons try pulling an injector out leave it for 3 or 4 days turn it over and see if any antifreeze fires out the hole

but coolent level would drop over time is my thought

it should have a block heater all rogators do

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
If it was failed injector cup 0-rings it would be putting fuel into the coolant or, on rare instances, coolant in the fuel. If it was failed injector 0-rings it would be putting fuel into the oil. If it was coolant leaking into the cylinder it would hydro-lock when you tried to turn it over. I'm not familiar with a 3126B but with other cats (3406-C15-C13-C12 etc) there are two check valves on the filter head. These check valves cause most loss of prime situations. First thing to check is put a wrench on every fuel fitting to ensure none have come loose. Then I would check out the check valves.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I have an '06 1074, and I wouldn't even try starting it at -15c without it being plugged in! At -5 it can be a struggle. Your block heater cord will be on the passenger side hanging down just in side the frame above the left steering cylinder if it's tied up the same as mine. Plug it in for a couple hours, if it's just steel and oil, it'll start much easier. If not, then it's something else, (especially if your fluid levels are changing on you significantly).

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't live at my farm, so first thing tomorrow, I'm gonna check coolent levels and take a smell of it.. I did have an injector issue last year, I would have thought the tech would have fixed up any issues there.

Also I didn't try starting it at -15 but I have cold started tractors at that temp before.. I tried yesterday +10C

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I don't live at my farm, so first thing tomorrow, I'm gonna check coolent levels and take a smell of it.. I did have an injector issue last year, I would have thought the tech would have fixed up any issues there.

Also I didn't try starting it at -15 but I have cold started tractors at that temp before.. I tried yesterday +10C
+10c should work, even if this is the initial start of the year. Fuel pressure sounds like a likely culprit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts