The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rostselmash

Hmmmmm, looks like a pretty new sun rise. Rostselmash recently bought 80% of the Buhler Group, a Canadian farm machinery manufacturer who owns the respected Versatile brand of 4WD articulated tractors.

Rostselmash is possibly the largest combine manufacturer in post-Soviet Russia. Formed in the 1920′s, the company is based on the Rostov-on-Don area in south western Russia. Rostselmash produced combines throughout the Soviet era, including variants of the Don 1500 and Niva models which can be seen in many films and posters from that Soviet era.
Today the range of combines such as the Vector and Acros are one of the biggest sellers in Eastern Europe and throughout the vast cereal growing areas in central Asia. The Torum 740 (pre-production prototype known as the RSM 181) is the newest model and has a rotary seperating system with a counter revolving concave and drum. Other machines produced include the Don 680 forage harvester.

The market for big tractors like the latest 525hp Versatile is set to grow in countries like Ukraine and Kazakhstan where massive farms run large fleets of tractors. The companies are also well situated to compete with the more expensive American and European brands in many other parts of the world.

“>

·
Registered
924 Posts
I thought it was only an habit in Quebec to sell our nice companies to businesses around the world. I guess it's a canadian thing also..

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Weak US dollar brings stronger foreign investments

jdinsk- Not lol here...... With our weak US dollar, I would not be surprised to see the NY Yankee's get bought by a foreign group, perhaps even Mexican but more likely, China. According to USA Today article, 6 July 2011, the National Association of Realtors, 31% of Florida's home buyers in the last year (2010) were foreigners. BTW - The largest share of foreign home-buyers are still Canadian, making up 23% of sales. TYVM,
Foreign Home Buyers Helping Real Estate Market Bounce Back

jonb - I posted the above history information as it is an appropriate background for the first thread on this new Versatile harvest section. Some people are not aware of the Rostselmash / Versatile relationship and background.

IMO - the Torum is a very respectable combine already with innovative features like the rotating concave (aka bi-rotor), very nice layout of hydro-mechanical drives, on board air compressor / tank, tailing rethresher, very efficient powertrain and decent cab with clean layout. Also 20+ significant refinements are being made for the Canadian & other North American market expectations and ANSI / ASABE safety requirements.
The final fit and finish is still a little rough, by NA standards, but the foundation is pretty darn good. It is interesting to see where RSM has been and it will be interesting to see where this all goes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Things are starting to turn now......

Nice start to the new heading Alan!:)

Don
Don, Thanks also to you for setting up the Versatile category and for your kind acknowledgement above. With some mixed feelings, I wish well for the Versatile / Rostselmash combine project. It has been frustrating to many of our Agri-Technology XBR2 team members ..... that Deere has not done more with the XBR2 threshing and grainhandling features since they bought those 17+ patents up in 1995. Therefore, it is nice to see RSM and Versatile advance the bi-rotor combine technology inside the Torum combines. This will provide more opportunity for refinements and validation.

Things really go well, when they start turning in the right direction.

·
Registered
206 Posts
IMHO Torum is owerloaded piece of junk a specialy knowing russian culture of work. Sorry if I hurt some ones fielings. I have my simpaties to XBR2 but not happy by it's new apearance.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I wouldn't be quite so quick to discard what Rostelmash/Versatile is bringing to the table. The R & D that Versatile has now for product development is 4X what it was under Buhler. We have a good friend that is hosting a Russian exchange student that is a Junior in local HS, She is 2 years ahead in math of US curriculum!

While it was the case up until just a few years ago where the US was literally ahead of most foreign products - specifically eastern Europe, our current trajectory is going in opposite directions. The current culture of American workers is nothing to be proud of in many instances. Look at what the Einsteins that went to the voting booths done for us in 2008! This along with the know nothings with MBA's that are dictating how machinery is to be built in executive offices.

To be clear, we still have the capability to be the best and develop the best, but an attitude adjustment needs to be realized, and soon.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If this stuff is soooo great, then why is every dealership in the upper midwest able to load a container full of farm equipment and ship it over to Russia, Europe, and China, with brokers representing any number of countries, bidding and buying almost any thing. Simple answer, almost everything is 25 yrs behind in tech and durability and parts availability!!!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
If this stuff is soooo great, then why is every dealership in the upper midwest able to load a container full of farm equipment and ship it over to Russia, Europe, and China, with brokers representing any number of countries, bidding and buying almost any thing. Simple answer, almost everything is 25 yrs behind in tech and durability and parts availability!!!!
Its the trend thats troubling, not the past!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well I know the machines not from brochures, Oil leaks all over on new. Got a chance to extinguish one :eek: DON 1500.
Any how then they build DON 1500 looking at JD they improved it by building largest known threshing drum 80cm in diameter. That was ok impossible to plug it. So from engineering positions it was ok but not from assembly quality positions. Any how that was simple, strait forward machine so all mistakes made in factory was easy to fix.
Now lets take look at the TORUM. Feeder reminds me old experiments of Laverda and MDW then they were trying to doe threshing in feeder and rest of combine left for separation and cleaning. In addition to that they have largest known axial flow rotor for threshing and separation and that is not enough they have contra rotating concave. If I remember correctly idea behind XBR2 was to create compact and efficient threshing separation unit. There is nothing compact about Torum. Lets imagine what kind of precision is needed to align the rotor and concave. Germans may doe that Russians I doubt. Another question who will work on it. This kind of powertrain would be really time consuming in maintenance I guess.
So idea as an experiment may be interesting as a concept but not real working machine

1 - 18 of 18 Posts