The Combine Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
It will be interesting to see how it works in our rocks. I talked to one of the dealers for Wolverine at the farm show one time and I asked if they used it it stony ground. He said yes they rented one out to see how it worked, it only came back with a $12,000 parts bill after a week. He actually used the word "only".

·
Premium Member
7,986 Posts
It will be interesting to see how it works in our rocks. I talked to one of the dealers for Wolverine at the farm show one time and I asked if they used it it stony ground. He said yes they rented one out to see how it worked, it only came back with a $12,000 parts bill after a week. He actually used the word "only".
I'm gonna stock up on shearbolts, but I have a few fields where I just wouldn't use it. There is a fairly large part of my farm that it should work well. I'm not selling the scraper or the pulldozer.:wink:

·
Premium Member
7,986 Posts
So what type of Trimble receivers are guys running on these Wolverine ditchers? I am being told that they really vibrate under use and an AG25 will shake apart in no time. I am recommended to get an industrial grade one. I have two years warranty so maybe if it fails just get a replacement, maybe someday after warranty it fails but can just replace myself, still cheaper than adding the industrial one. Maybe I can do a swap now while new for a reasonable cost....:5:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Congrats ,one of my better investments on my Farm so far. I have GPS on it but cant remember if it is a Industrial type . No issues so far after 2 Years but they dont shake that bad. Your wife will not like it since now you can go ditching REALLY late in the Fall.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
We had one of those Zepher ones fail after about 4 years. Put an ag25 on last year as we had a spare and it made the fall. A bunch of 3" of frost stuff too. No idea how long it'll make it but we'll find out. It'll blow your mind once you have both channels at work steering and controlling the cutting edge.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
There is a fairly large part of my farm that it should work well. I'm not selling the scraper or the pulldozer.:wink:

Nice choice for your job.

Personally I'm torn between the T-Rex or an Airboat.

I'm thinking that by the time the Airboat is worn out, it could be dry enough for the T-Rex, but I'm afraid that by then, I'll be too backwoods and redneck to even keep my mind on farming.

[edit]
Then again, I'm not too fond of being cold or wet, and I sure don't like wind either.

I don't know what the **** to do!

Just keep driving around in my truck I guess. It's comfortable.

·
Premium Member
7,986 Posts
I used the Wolverine this fall for a couple of days before the ground froze up.
Good:
>Moves way more dirt than a scraper with not a lot of mess to clean up.
>Works in water I found out.
>Can spread either way and direct spread lower if necessary.
>Front drum with slip clutch found most(not all) of rocks before they made it to the impeller.
>Decent flotation.

Bad:
>Doesn't like larger rocks or cattails.
>Shearpin pulled through one of the paddles instead of breaking.
>Doesn't like frozen ground.
>Most of the discharge ends up in a narrow band unless using deflector a little bit to point some lower.
>Not fun to change shearbolts when it's muddy.

A few pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I noticed these were advertised on here recently. I thought it should be added to the lineup in the thread. It has some interesting features as well as some similarities to others. Has anyone on here got any firsthand experience with a Crary?
And how happy are people with the brands they’re using now, two years later?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
How much topsoil do you guys with rotary ditchers (or pulldozers or scrapers) have to work with? If you farm in the RRV, I suppose it goes without saying that you can move feet of dirt and still have topsoil left, but what about the other regions using them?

Around here, I've got typically 10" of topsoil(except in the holes that need draining, then there might be multiple feet), then clay for dozens of feet. So drainage requires stripping valuable topsoil to save it all, then grading the subsoil, then replacing topsoil.

I just can't see where any of those tools would be a solution around here, except to temporarily get the water moving, and dry enough to come back with the right tools?

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
We never really have to cut much and the places I hit clay I never over cut and put top soil back in and the crop grows there just fine and even if there was any reduction the drainage offsets that 100:1
As the the Crary I like how it’s simpler than the wolverine but it sure seems to leave a windrow right next to the machine and don’t cut near as clean vs the Wolverine.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts