The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next spring we are experimenting with some organic wheat and rye on fresh breaking. If the results are favorable we are thinking of converting our 1000 acres to organic. Its an adapt or die strategy as we are squeezed for land base and looking at better options for higher returns of the land we have.

There is a Yetter 3530 Rotary Harrow for sale at the next Saskatoon Ritchie auction. They are supposed to be good for in crop weed control - small weeds when the crop is 4 leaf stage. These machines are very uncommon on the prairies therefor I have questions for those that use them.

For 30 feet how big of tractor is needed? I have a M110X Kubota with 3pt.
Are bearings in the wheels high maintenance?
How effective are the rotary hoes? Am I better off using regular harrows?

Thanks.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Fresh breaking?? Any Grasses? If so not likely any kind of harrow will suffice without killing the crop. You will need to do lots of tillage to get rid of it first. Not to discourage you but my neighbor just gave up his organic status as he said the premium for organics was not high enough to make it cost effective...

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I stumbled across this a couple of months ago. I never really understood these things properly before.

I think any perennial weeds or grasses could be a nightmare, but when I was a kid I remember hearing my uncle, who had big tractors with 12 tires saying, "grass and thistles were the easiest weeds in the world to get rid of, if you just keep the summerfallow black." I believe he was right on that point.

Here is a Yetter in action.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Come on down here to Ontario I have one in the shed for 15 years as does 90% of the neighbours we used them to break crust on bean and corn in the spring,but dousent work .If you want to pull out little weeds you will also pull out little wheat.A good 20 ft one here won't bring $500.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.