The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard other people on here talk about switching the axles from one side to the other on Versatile tractors so it runs on the other side of the teeth. Is it much of a job to do this? We have had this tractor forever and not sure on the hours, it had around 4600 when we got it in 1989 or so. Pretty sure its hit 10,000 and no problems yet!!
( touch wood!!) I hope it runs forever because it would break my heart to ever see it leave home!!

·
Premium Member
6,087 Posts
You just swap the planetary covers side to side by taking off the ring of bolts on the outside. It will let you see the condition of the gears and it will give you a chance to change the oil. It is a fairly simple job to do. Make sure you roll the bottom bearings on the engine every 4000 hours.

·
Registered
370 Posts
ideally you swap side to side and front to rear, pay attention to the look of the gear teeth and any pitting and or chipping, note if any chunks come out of the oil, clean the magnetic plugs, as well the sun gear on the axle should be relocated as well.. it can be a finger squisher if you are not prepared, but it is very reasonable to do.. if you can find an old silver water fire extinguisher[the kind we all carried on the combine] you can clean it out and mark it well. use it to fill the planetary with oil after pressurizing it with air. make sure not to use it to fight fires anymore though...

·
Registered
370 Posts
i must have rolled bearings into 60 or more of these engines over the years, and frankly there were only 2 that really needed bearings, and that was due to extreme cold starts and cavitation of the oil pump on startup. there were a few others that had coolant damage from leakage internal that showed peel spots of the babbit in small spots, but they neede a lot more than just bearings anyway. proper oil change intervals and filtration would allow well over 10,000 hours before i would begin to worry about the main and rod bearings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.