The Combine Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Dave, in my part of eastern Ontario (near Renfrew), canola was the big loser. Winter wheat yield was a tick over average (good quality and straw yield). And soybeans are coming off decent to above average. Soys took the June/July 5 week drought and heat much better than the canola. I mainly grow canola to get winter wheat seeded in a timely manner but I'm hoping this was just an "off" year. My rotation is soys-soys-canola-winter wheat.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Growing non hybrid rye last few years. Went anywere from 25-70 depending on rain.
The one year we had a wet spring it averaged 50. Newer land hit 70. Last year was to **** dry to think about a fall crop and the guys that tried it had below average rye crops. To dry in spring.
Might look at winter wheat in future

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Sorry, just to clarify, a wheat yeild under 75 bu is taking it on the chin. Seriously?

So say 60 bu at 6 bux is a money loser down there?

And for the guys who think peas are such a winner - two words; white mold.

JAZZ you missed this part of the conversation...

Typically we aim for 2.2 on wheat, 2.5 on barley, 1.5 on canola.

Wheat made 1.25 barley made 1.6 but canola is sitting right at 1.4 but not yet finished. Wheat was a real shocker... Looked like 2 tonne crop but was all straw.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Dave, in my part of eastern Ontario (near Renfrew), canola was the big loser. Winter wheat yield was a tick over average (good quality and straw yield). And soybeans are coming off decent to above average. Soys took the June/July 5 week drought and heat much better than the canola. I mainly grow canola to get winter wheat seeded in a timely manner but I'm hoping this was just an "off" year. My rotation is soys-soys-canola-winter wheat.

Finally a simple response....THANK-YOU!!!

That looks very interesting to me... And we have started to succesfully grow canola after beans, just not double cropped. Following RR beans with LL canola. Winter wheat is challenging but have had some very good years with it, just need it in timely for big yields.

·
Registered
715 Posts
We don't spray insecticides or fungicides really at all. Big plus of a 4 to 5 year rotation.
Pretty sure that rotation is not so much a factor in something like Pea leaf weevil. We did not see this thing up until 4 years ago(think this been in S AB for long time now) or so and there very little land here that has peas on it in a consistent rotation. I seeded peas on some new land 2 years ago that had not been cropped for 25years, was an adjoining qtr that had peas 2 years previous, another one on other corner that had them 3 years previous, and there still was pea leaf weevils damage.

I do agree on other fungicides/insecticides though.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
We don't spray insecticides or fungicides really at all. Big plus of a 4 to 5 year rotation.
Having to treat seed with insecticide in southern Alberta has nothing to do with rotation. Just take a look at any pea leaf weevil forecast map. If youre south of highway 1 you pretty well have to treat, and it appears they’re making their way north. Hoping 2019 spring forecast is lower so that we can forego it

Edit- see Brazil already addressed but point stands

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Pretty sure that rotation is not so much a factor in something like Pea leaf weevil. We did not see this thing up until 4 years ago(think this been in S AB for long time now) or so and there very little land here that has peas on it in a consistent rotation. I seeded peas on some new land 2 years ago that had not been cropped for 25years, was an adjoining qtr that had peas 2 years previous, another one on other corner that had them 3 years previous, and there still was pea leaf weevils damage.

I do agree on other fungicides/insecticides though.

That is really unfortunate, does just the seed treatment take care of it, or are there in crop applications as well?

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Is there a non-neonic seed treatment for weevils in Peas?
No, the only other option is to spray an insecticide like matador shortly after emergence. If you’re too late they’ll infect the nodules and the plant won’t produce nitrogen, at least not effectively. It’s a cheaper option but the logistics make it very hard to manage, particularly since peas typically go in early here and you’re still busy trying to seed the rest of the crop when they need to be sprayed. Neonics, albeit more expensive, are the only practical solution right now. If we lose them then I doubt you’ll see hardly any acres going in south of HWY 1, although most of those acres have been turned to lentils anyway. Without neonics it’ll be interesting to see how quickly they spread north. Warm winters are not helping the situation.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
I always thought you guys raised snow after canola up there.

I have scratched my head for a long time trying to figure out exactly what to grow after canola and the only thing I can come up with is wheat.

My suggestion would be to lengthen out your rotation. There is a ton of crops that will follow wheat with and I find wheat still has some of the strongest herbicide options unless your fighting grasses but canola really helps in the grass fight.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts