The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering is there any tricks or shortcuts for changing the roter belt. Changed one on our old 1660 but want to do it in the shortest time posible. This one is on a '03 2366 looks the same, correct me if it is not. The one that is on now has a crack in one notch but will change to avoid down time later. Any thoughts or tips would be very helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Well, I haven't swapped one in 2 years now, so this is from memory...

Slow the rotor down as far as you can, which opens up the pulley on the "drive" side of the rotor belt. After that, you'll have to split the shaft to get the belt on that pulley. The easiest way to do that is to remove the 4 bolts on one side of the U/V joint. There may be a wire harness in that area to unhook too.

Now for the "driven" side of the belt, the spring loaded pulley on the rotor gear box, you'll need to open that pulley as much as you can. There is a special tool for this, which is a large piece of flat steel with a hole in the middle, and two long bolts. If you have this tool then find a speed wrench which saves a ton of time. It's basically a box-end wrench with a ratchet built in. A socket wrench won't work here. I don't remember if it was 3/4 or 15/16 that we used on that tool. A regular wrench works fine too, just takes for ever to tighten the nuts on the bolts.

If you don't have that tool, you can use a piece of 2/4 lumber cut into a wedge - just hammer it into the pulley to hold it open while you are taking the belt off and putting the new one one. Since that could slip out of there, be darn sure you don't ever get a finger in there, or your face behind that block in case it pops out.

Note: If you happen to slug the rotor which breaks the belt, slip the rotor gear box in neutral so you can spin the pulley when putting the belt on.

You probably will have to swear to get the belt on the pulleys, so just expect it. I usually put the belt on the drive side pulley first, then on the driven side.

-Lance

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips, didn't put new one on yet. Waiting for a rain day. But sure this will help.

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts