The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering about how much the rotor belt should be slipping under load. I've been having troubles with it slipping when I get the combine a little too loaded up. Its caused me to plug the rotor twice and smoke the belt both times. Right now I have the rotor set at 1000rpm unloaded and when its under load it's running around 890-900rpm. Is a 100rpm drop too much? There are times when im really trying to push things that it drops down to around 850-870rpm as well. I've checked to make sure that all the belts are tight and that the pulleys are in good shape. Is there anything else that I need to look at?

Sorry, this is on a 2188 if that matters?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I was just thinking the pulleys were worn out, but you said they were fine. The belt might be glazed from being smoked a couple times, which could make it slip more, but as to what caused it to slip the first time - I don't know. I've been pulling the rotor down 90-100RPM and haven't had any problems. If the rotor pulls down more than that it drops the engine speed more than I like, so I back off a bit.

How's the wheat looking up your way?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
possible cam assy is binding, there is a spring update, heaverier spring, rollers could be bad, did you replace belt, ops manual gives measurement on distance from top of shieve to belt, are vanes okay? scott.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Is there any way to check to see if the cam assembly is binding? I need to look into the heavier spring as well. I haven't replaced the belt yet. It only sliped for about 5-10 sec each time so it shouldnt be in to bad of shape. We had problems like this last year as well in the irrigated wheat, but this year it seems to happen in the dryland wheat as well.

Kevin, the wheat up this way is looking pretty good in our area. So far the dryland field that we've got cut made a little over 50 bushel and an irrigated circle on the poor side made about 75 or so but its some piss poor wheat ground. I think the other half made closer to 90. Everybody's wheat looks like it should do really well again this year, other than the 5-10 acre lakes that drowned out from a big rain we had about a month ago.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
run rotor to high speed, check measurement per ops manual, once belt slips its toast, only way is to take rotor shieve apart, as i posted previously, check vanes, remove half moon cover, look at transion vanes, if they are bent, will cause issues like you are referring to, scott.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Make sure that the driven pulley is free to slide. I had a binding issue due to lack of grease and no matter how the spring was set you couldn't get the tension you need. I would be scared of that belt as well. I agree with scott, once they are smoked once, I toss em.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Once a belt slips it is junk. Also check the other belt, the 3V belt that drives the entire machine. I thought my rotor belt was slipping, but it was the other belt slipping and causing problems.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
i would think the roller ramp is groved and the spring is worn out. newer machine have the grove in the pulleys to keep the belt clean. good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts