The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a 760 and I'm thinking about taking rotor covers like the factory setup and putting them in the 3rd and 4th segments and plumbing the hydraulics into somewhere so that I can go out and open/close them, change crops to much for manual covers, think it'll work? Any ideas where to plum into?

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
I'm running a 760 and I'm thinking about taking rotor covers like the factory setup and putting them in the 3rd and 4th segments and plumbing the hydraulics into somewhere so that I can go out and open/close them, change crops to much for manual covers, think it'll work? Any ideas where to plum into?
Making it like the 2015 small grain 780 will be.
Some thought they may retro fit that as long as you already have hydraulic covers.
Stay tuned.:)

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
Johnseere95 I made one set of rotor covers that I put in from the back out of sheet metal. It is a bit tricky to get them in but is a lot better than dropping the pan. I wish I could get the electric ones to work properly. The second set is always hit and miss wether they will close. Even when you unhook them it seems like the linkage is jammed. I ran out of time before harvest but wanted to convert my electric ones to a manual lever sticking out of the floor in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use puck board (flexible 1/4" white plastic) to cover next 2 sections after adjustable covers. 3" 5/16" bolts, cut off head, heat and bend to a U shaped hook, hook over bars and tighten. Took 1/2 hour to make, 10 min to put all 4 in. I leave them in all the time. Heavy belt, light metal would do same thing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry, I covered the area between the 2 black lines in the picture, which is cut in half by a thin grey line. So I actually covered 1 grate fully. but it takes 2 pieces to do it. Hope that makes sense. The pieces I put on were about 6" by 24" if that helps

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
Sorry, I covered the area between the 2 black lines in the picture, which is cut in half by a thin grey line. So I actually covered 1 grate fully. but it takes 2 pieces to do it. Hope that makes sense. The pieces I put on were about 6" by 24" if that helps
It does, you are covering what I would count as 2 sections on each side.
I have run up to 9 or 90% of sections covered, number 10 has the loss monitor pads, but the canola has to be swathed and super duper dry or 9 is too many, I would never recommend that many.
The covers allow shoe load depth to a fraction of all open levels.:)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well after talking with my combine mech and parts guy I've got a third section of hyd rotor covers coming, were going to tap into the rotor cover hyd system with a valve that allows me to open close the third set from outside the cab, all total for parts was about $1300 only thing to do is get hoses made and a valve. Going to be very nice to be able to easily adjust the covers.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm getting enough cover flaps to cover one section, all mounting brackets for the hyd cyl and the hyd cyl, all linkages, only stuff I have to get extra is the hoses and a closed centre valve. The valve will be down by the valve stack. The third section will be identical to the first two sections but will be opened and closed by a manual valve.

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
What are the chances it could be retrofitted to the rotor grates on a CR with 22" rotors?? Maybe you could take a few pics of the parts prior to installation.
New Holland has concaves for round 22" grate, Claas is elliptical 17" grates, so it wouldn't be without a challenge.
It would be so different as to not be practical would my guess in addition to having to source a hydraulic supply.
Better off creating your own setup.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.