The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, wondering if anyone has use the rotor covers in crops other than canola? Got some peas we want to do in between a couple canola fields and wondering if we need to take them back out or if we can leave them in? Will we get too many cracks? Was thinking maybe it'd work with the hydraulic covers opened.

·
Super Moderator
4,681 Posts
The rotor covers won't cause any cracking but the lost separation area may allow loss over the rotors.
Don't know if it would be significant, try it.:)
You've still have quite a bit of open area with hydraulic doors open.
How many sections (per side) did you cover, each section 10%?
A full kit is 40%.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't installed them yet but i bought the full sets for each machine. Reducing losses in Canola was out biggest reason to switch to Claas. One thing about the peas is that our FD75's won't let us fill up the combine so were constantly running in that 40% engine load. Going to give it a try when the time comes

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have 2 rotor covers after the 4 covered by the rotor doors. So all closed 60% covered (ie 570r) and the back 40% always open.
I have only done large greens lentils with them so far. We ran with the rotor doors open and had very little rotor losses. One tough morning we closed all the rotor doors and the losses increased a far bit. But as soon as we opened the rotor doors the losses dropped right off. For what it's worth

·
Super Moderator
4,681 Posts
I have 2 rotor covers after the 4 covered by the rotor doors. So all closed 60% covered (ie 570r) and the back 40% always open.
I have only done large greens lentils with them so far. We ran with the rotor doors open and had very little rotor losses. One tough morning we closed all the rotor doors and the losses increased a far bit. But as soon as we opened the rotor doors the losses dropped right off. For what it's worth
I would think there would be little material of any kind over the rotors with lentils, correct?

I don't know how much separation the rotors do in peas.
I think header losses are sometimes more significant than combine losses.

In peas what cylinder speed are you running?
If running below 400 one needs to change the cylinder drive bolts position anyway and with rotor covers in you may run as high as 700 rpm in canola, or whatever is just below grain damage level.

I have enough manual covers for 50% and with the 40% from the hydraulic doors so can be 10% loss monitor section only open.
That would be a chalk dry canola only setting.

I see I have the new rotor exit paddle/tin guide setup designed for flax I believe but I think the rest of the rotor is the same as previously, anyone know?

·
Premium Member
5,966 Posts
For us rotor loss is still the limitation often in lentils with the wide body machine. It may be due to the wide body having more sieve area for seperation resulting in low loss over the sieve. The rotors are the same whether wide or narrow body and are usually the cause of loss for us except in canola.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I ran my peas with one section covered, doors open. Had next to zero rotor loss. Splits and cracks were running in the 1 to 2% range. Moved on to dry canola and running doors closed and 1 section covered. Rotor loss is quite low.

·
Super Moderator
4,681 Posts
Research you understand!

I removed all manual covers so 100% open, rotor loss dropped to trace levels even at higher feed rates than I have ever obtained before, sieve loss even less.:)

Gotta love setting TM6 sieves for peas, both top and bottom WFO 20 mm 1200 fan 450/15mm cylinder.

Can some one explain to me how grasshoppers survive the trip through any combine?:eek:;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts