The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What to do about my rotor fire problems? 06 9860
Material builds behind the rotor, rubs on the rear wall and starts fires. In dry conditions this happens everyday. I am getting no action from the dealers.
This is a known problem but I am just getting ignored. Oh they'll sell me a new rotor. Am I wrong thinking this is a design flaw that I shouldn't have to pay 100% to fix this

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey I Am not sure if you heard this from your dealer or not but. I do remember this being quite a common problem and deere actually had a pretty crude fix for this that did seem to work. If I remember right it involved using a bondo type material to prevent wrapping material on the back end of the rotor. I have never done it but have been present while other mechanics were preforming the task. I was pretty sure this was the solution that Deere was suggesting you will have to look into it if you are interested as I am very vague on details. I am sure someone on here will be able to give you further insight. If not get the dealer to do a D tach case if they have not already.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey also Check out topic "DISCHARGE BEATER" on Jan 29 Don Boles has a reply that may be useful. Not sure if this could help or not in your case.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had a look a a couple of rotors that had the bondo treatment. Bondo melts when it burns! they ended up changing the rotors out.
I have tried the discharge paddles and installed a pf beater and speed up kit. Still a fire starter.
Looks like I have three options
1. pay for a new rotor
2. trade it off
3. let it burn

1. Will the new rotor cure the problem? Really ticks me off giving them more money
2. Won't do to well on trade with all the burn marks on it!!
3. It's going to happen one day, gonna get one that I can't put out. Wonder what else will go with it, liability!

Thing that gets me is there is a design problem and NO ONE CARES. Dealers, deere included.
So I am on my own and looking for advice.
Biggest problem for the next year or two is cash flow, half the farm was/still to wet to seed. so that eliminates the more spendy solutions, attractive as they are.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Quit fightingi it. You should have a local CaseIH dealer that would love to trade you straight across for an 8010 they have sitting on their lot.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Make sure you keep your insurance upto date, I'd probably get ticked off enough to let it burn and buy something else. The insurance guys are getting kind of sick of paying out on the machines, maybe they will twist deeres arm enough to get a real solution.

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
Really?
While I guess your right, but do you want the names of the 15 firefighters from the Three Hills fire department on August 30, 2006?
Without them you would be wrong.
Not to mention the field fire they subsequently put out.
Owner negligence eh?
What section in the manual refers to unwrapping pea vines on the back of the rotor?
Must be only in your manual 5stateag?
Rats farmerjones, I guess you should only use an STS in wheat?
Are you naysayers catching on yet?

Don

·
Registered
590 Posts
Just trade it off for red or yellow New Holland. Should be used ones around that won't cost you more than the hassle of waiting for it to burn down and dealing with that.

You are not neglecting it as you know what the problem is and are trying to fix it. But, sometimes all machines are not perect for all conditions. Sounds like your STS is not pefect for your conditions. Get rid of it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need the cheapest fix possible, see bottom of my second post. As much as I'd love to, trading it and headers just isn't doable right now. tractor8100, dealers like that don't exist around here. Your lucky.
To the two in denial, that's insulting. If you truly knew as much as you think you would know that this is a real problem. You think deere came up with the bondo joke if it was not

·
Registered
590 Posts
I assumed you had a choice of dealers, and you don't, so I now understand.
Also, I missed the line about the burn marks. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have been a deere tech for over 10 years. I have yet to see a harvesters combine burn.

Combine fires are 99 percent owner neglect. Thats why john deere doesnt do anything. Not there problem. They have a department within a department within a department, that monitors these things. They spend millions a year on pips for all the models. IF there is a design flaw they fix em. I spend half my day every day dealing with superseed part numbers because deere changes things to the better.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
There was a 9770 burn up about 5 miles from me last fall. The inusrance guy was able guess the make and model as soon as he heard combine fire...must have been luck because according to the experts on here there isn't a problem. The adjuster said it started at the rear of the rotor like windchill is having. I've also heard of static build up on the plastic side panels being an issue for all of the new machines that use them, and that draging a chain helps alot. Farmerjones as to your snide remarks about keeping the machine clean and they never burn in wheat, we never blow our combines off until its time to pack them away in wheat and we never have a smolder. But then again there aren't areas that chaff really collects on a 2388.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've never heard of that. We have been running STS combines for 5 years and have never come close to starting a fire. Do you blow your combine off every day? We farm in dry arid conditions too.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You are just asking for it because I've seen that static discharge happen on 2388s too. Back in 2003 when it was really hot, it got to the point were some of my neighbors had tractors with discs in the field with someone sitting in them to run around and put out fires.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
one of ours went up a couple of years ago, we blow them off every day, s**t happens, thats what insurance is for,

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
We've burned up a 1480, but it was due to a fuel filter leak. As far as asking for it because I don't blow my machines off, they honestly don't collect chaff up around the engine, the feeder house area is the only significant amout of residue.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts